RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to RetrieverTraining.net. I've got a lot of experience with Field Trial beagles from 40+ years ago. Since then, I've had some bird dogs, one of which went to a professional trainer. I was not so good at training them myself. I've had one rescue lab that I trained for retrieving and did okay.

I just put down a deposit on Lab from a hunt test/field trial breeding and I want to do a better of job of training him this time. So here's my question.

What's your experience with Online Training Courses? I've used the search function and get "Retriever Online", (a magazine?) for most of the results. I googled online courses and put their names into the search function and it seems that only Cornerstone Gundog Academy gets any mentions.

I prefer online style courses simply because they're convenient. My DVD player is in the basement on a shelf. I learn a ton from books but I think videos is a better media for this.

What's your experience?

Thank in advance.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Your time and money is better spent with a local pro or successful amateur group.
Retriever training is a team sport...you need live humans to help you.
Personally I don't know of any decent online retriever courses.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your time and money is better spent with a local pro or successful amateur group.
Retriever training is a team sport...you need live humans to help you.
Personally I don't know of any decent online retriever courses.
Best of luck.
You may be right. I joined a local club and am going to my second training day tomorrow to help even though I don't have a dog yet. I'm doing my best to cover all of the bases.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
You may be right. I joined a local club and am going to my second training day tomorrow to help even though I don't have a dog yet. I'm doing my best to cover all of the bases.
With that level of dedication I have no doubt you will do well with your pup.

Reactions: Windjammer

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hillman’s info is also excellent. You can purchase the DVDs or subscribe to his streaming service.

Meredith

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I just put down a deposit on Lab from a hunt test/field trial breeding
AND
and I want to do a better of job of training him this time.
Well, thinking that if you pick the right program (or dog) it will be easier is not all there is to
it. Another thought to consider is finding someone with retriever training experience that is able
to guide you on how to teach....a patient mentor. When things get out of "whack", the issue is
usually the trainer not teaching to the needs of his student. In other words, it will not be the
dog or a program that is an issue.

When an inexperienced trainer begins the process, it makes more sense if it is treated like
bowling. A good mentor is kind of like having "gutter guards". Therefore, who will be helping
you stay on a good line?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, thinking that if you pick the right program (or dog) it will be easier is not all there is to
it. Another thought to consider is finding someone with retriever training experience that is able
to guide you on how to teach....a patient mentor.
That's the primary reason for joining the HRC, to find people who are actually training instead of internet gurus.

When things get out of "whack", the issue is
usually the trainer not teaching to the needs of his student. In other words, it will not be the
dog or a program that is an issue.
My wife is a teacher is a local (non-hunting) dog club. She says that she trains the owners, not the dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to RetrieverTraining.net. I've got a lot of experience with Field Trial beagles from 40+ years ago. Since then, I've had some bird dogs, one of which went to a professional trainer. I was not so good at training them myself. I've had one rescue lab that I trained for retrieving and did okay.

I just put down a deposit on Lab from a hunt test/field trial breeding and I want to do a better of job of training him this time. So here's my question.

What's your experience with Online Training Courses? I've used the search function and get "Retriever Online", (a magazine?) for most of the results. I googled online courses and put their names into the search function and it seems that only Cornerstone Gundog Academy gets any mentions.

I prefer online style courses simply because they're convenient. My DVD player is in the basement on a shelf. I learn a ton from books but I think videos is a better media for this.

What's your experience?

Thank in advance.
Good Morning, I am one of the founders of Cornerstone Gundog Academy and we have hundreds of clients that are making the most out of their retrievers with our courses. What are your plans for your dog? Are you planning to hunt, do hunt tests, or field trials? If you have any specific questions, send me a message and we will do our best to help. Good Luck with your dog. Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Good Morning, I am one of the founders of Cornerstone Gundog Academy and we have hundreds of clients that are making the most out of their retrievers with our courses. What are your plans for your dog? Are you planning to hunt, do hunt tests, or field trials? If you have any specific questions, send me a message and we will do our best to help. Good Luck with your dog. Keith
Hi Keith,

We texted earlier this afternoon when I told you to not refund my order.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, alrighty then.
Whoa up!

This is why I don't do Facebook and most forums. I put poor Keith, Josh, and Kloe through their paces over the past two weeks as I decided to purchase their Complete Gundog Academy. I was a jerk. I described myself as a bitch to him in a text.

There should be no aspersions caste upon Keith, Josh, Kloe or Cornerstone by this thread. They are most professional in every way.

Better still, I changed the earlier post. I would love to see you take out the quote that was misinterpreted.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought Cornerstone Gundog Academy's Complete Gundog Academy. In their free training workshop, Retriever Training Summit, Josh Parvin along with Barton Ramsey explained their building block process that uses the conditioning and training methods that my wife and I prefer. Thank you everyone for your input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts