RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have 4 year old labrador bitch who was mated for the first time last month, I'm looking for your opinions while I'm waiting for the date to take her for ultrasound.

So on April 17th (Friday) her progesterone level was 3.9 ng/ml and is the only test we could do because my country was entering 4 day curfew because of covid19, fortunately stud owner allowed us to take the dog with us so we could repeat the mating.
She was artificially inseminated on April 19th, 20th, 21st.

I'm gonna check her on ultrasound in less than a week but I'm looking for opinions based on your experiences what are the chances that we hit the right day, since this litter is very special to me so I'm little impatient.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
Best of luck with your breeding. It is hard to wait to find out if the timing was correct, but sure nice of the stud owner to let you take him home for multiple breedings. Covid hasn't helped!

As I am sure you are aware, every female is different, so basing the information on how many days after she reached a certain level would be anyone's guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,514 Posts
I would bet you have puppies from a timing perspective.

My questions are, why would a dog owner allow you to take the dog away with you for several days but not allow a cover? Who was doing the collection and insemination?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would bet you have puppies from a timing perspective.

My questions are, why would a dog owner allow you to take the dog away with you for several days but not allow a cover? Who was doing the collection and insemination?
He let us take a dog because he trusts us, we have couple of dogs from his lines and he knows that we treat them well.
Collection and insemination was done by my breeding mentor who is very experienced breeder and lives almost next to us (he could come without trouble during curfew), he has done many AIs on his own bitches, successfully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,749 Posts
I agree with Roseberry, timing wise assuming she did not stall, you are fine; however, I would never do AI when a natural cover was available.. I base this on 40 years of breeding experience, using multiple sires and well trained operators. For some reason field bitches do not take as well without a tie. I have had TUI's work well with the enhanced tie, but not SBS. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
I suspect she probably ovulated on the 18th or 19th, they need to get to and over 5.0 to ovulate. Gestation is 63 +/-3 days from the date of ovulation. So that puts her due about June 20-21. I would not do an ultrasound until late next week, once they are over 30 days it is much easier to find on ultrasound. Some will find them earlier, but no sense spending the money until you can be sure. Also, realize that ultrasound is very poor at figuring out litter size. Good luck.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top