RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this so please bear with me. I was wondering how everyone felt about using an e-collar while hunting. Is that a good idea? I recently have had my lab trained and will be going out this season on his first hunt.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
807 Posts
hunting

i never leave home with out one. early in the morning at the boat ramp i at least want to know that i can pull my dog away from other dogs running wild i haven't had to use it but i can't tell you how many dogs have jumped in to my boat. so i'm a better safe than sorry kind of guy

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
i never leave home with out one. early in the morning at the boat ramp i at least want to know that i can pull my dog away from other dogs running wild i haven't had to use it but i can't tell you how many dogs have jumped in to my boat. so i'm a better safe than sorry kind of guy

x2 yup yup!

·
Registered
977 Posts
We do, and I have spoken with many people who recommend it. Even if you don't use it, it's always better to have that little "ace in the hole" available in case something unexpected happens. The one caveat might be: use common sense about leaving a collar on your dog if you're hunting in an area with a lot of downed brushy trees or other hazards where the dog might get hung up on the collar. Safety first.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Mine always has one around her neck when hunting! I use a Tri-Tronics Pro 500
And it keeps Queen from breaking and snatching birds out of other dog's mouths, too.
ROTFL.
Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I always use one while hunting. I consider it just as essential as bringing enough decoys. But, you have to be careful when using the e-collar in any situation, especially if you did not train your pup. It is essential for any owner to know when it is appropriate to use the collar. Unfortunately, I know some people that sent there dogs off for training and as a result do not know the proper use of the collar. This leaves the dog confused and I think worse for the wear.

So just because someone else trained your dog, at the very least you need to understand the basics of gun dog training and handling. That way your dog will progress when he comes back from the trainer and not get sloppy like most.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Thankfully we have a trainer that believes in training not only the dog but the owner also. I have learned so much from him and SO MUCH MORE about my dog. When to use the e-collar has been a big part of my time spent with the trainer!

·
Registered
946 Posts
One thing to do is make sure that you actually put the collar on correctly/snug enough. A loose collar can be prone to gettingcaught up in certain types of enviroments. make sure it is on and charged up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And dont drop the transmitter in the pond. :( Mine fell out and I didnt notice until back at the truck. Looked for 2 hours never did find it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always take the Tri-tronics Flyway Special to the field. That way the dog knows he's never out of reach...

Also have the transmitter wrapped in orange tape so I can find it on that rare occasion that it jumps out of my pocket.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would also caution that there are places to hunt that no collar is used on the dog for safety reasons. I grew up hunting in the backwaters of the Ouachita, & Mississippi rivers. Paticularly when hunting areas that have flooded and have lots of vines, snags, (above and below the surface) or a button willow thicket that you have cut a hole out to place the decoys in, these can be hazards for a collar to hang on. A rise or fall in water levels can change things over nite. Flooded bean or rice fields are fine and shallow water flooded areas where you can get to a dog in case of trouble, I use my collar then. JB

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
in my opinion, a collar fitted properly (tight and high on the neck) isn't likely to get hung up. I'd be much more concerned about using a vest in those areas than a collar. One thing to keep in mind when using a collar while hunting is having a place for the transmitter that is easy to get to, not likely to let the transmitter fall out and especially not allow the dog to get inadvertently shocked while you are moving around. It sounds like a no-brainer, but I've seen plenty of situations where either the transmitter wasn't handy when needed or was dropped in the water. Unfortunately I've also seen dogs zapped while the handler was sitting on the transmitter. Although I use a Pro 500, I think that one of those collars that has a smaller transmitter that hangs on a lanyard might be a better fit for a hunting collar, depending on your style of hunting.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
in my opinion, a collar fitted properly (tight and high on the neck) isn't likely to get hung up. I'd be much more concerned about using a vest in those areas than a collar. One thing to keep in mind when using a collar while hunting is having a place for the transmitter that is easy to get to, not likely to let the transmitter fall out and especially not allow the dog to get inadvertently shocked while you are moving around. It sounds like a no-brainer, but I've seen plenty of situations where either the transmitter wasn't handy when needed or was dropped in the water. Unfortunately I've also seen dogs zapped while the handler was sitting on the transmitter. Although I use a Pro 500, I think that one of those collars that has a smaller transmitter that hangs on a lanyard might be a better fit for a hunting collar, depending on your style of hunting.
For hunting, I have a small carabiner clip on the loop at the top of my waders. I clip that through the loop on a transmitter holster from Avery. I hunt with a pro 500. The transmitter is always right there across my left chest. (I shoot right handed, so it is opposite my gun shoulder).

·
Registered
390 Posts
There is always a collar on my dogs when hunting, or training. One suggestion. I use a Dogtra while hunting. Most models are smaller and lighter then the TT transmitters. When hunting, it has its own lanyard and goes around my neck with my duck or goose calls. That way, you know where it is all the time. When it's time for a correction, I don't like fumbling about, looking for my transmitter.

Steve

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gun dog supply (among others) carries a Tritronics transmitter holster with an over the shoulder strap. I use this all the time, primarily when hunting quail off horseback. It keeps the transmitter easily accessible, won't fall out of your vest, and won't inadvertently zap the dogs while climbing on/off the horse. Useful for the same reasons (except the horse part) while waterfowl or dove hunting.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I never fail to have an e-collar on my Sadie whether training or hunting. I very rarely need to use the stimulation function, but rely frequently on having trained her to respond to the tone feature (in addition to the whistle) to cut down on the noise during a hunt.

·
Registered
505 Posts
just had an article published that might be of interest: "CONTROL ON A HUNT"

wonews.com-blogs.aspfbt=gradyistre'sblog&fbt=y
or go to my website reibar.com and click the blog bumper

1 - 20 of 20 Posts