RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into switching dog food for 11 mo clm. Checking out Orijen and the protein level is at 38%. Looks like quite the jump from 24% which is my current dog food.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Orijen Puppy Large

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude protein (min.) 38.0 %
Crude fat (min.) 16.0 %
Crude fiber (max.) 3.0 %
Moisture (max.) 10.0 %
Calcium (min./max.) 1.5 % / 1.7 %
Phosphorus (min./max.) 1.2 % / 1.4 %
Omega-6 (min.) 2.6 %
Omega-3 (min.) 1 %
DHA (min.) 0.6 %
EPA (min.) 0.3 %
AA (min.) 0.12 %
Carbohydrate (max.) 25%
Ash (max.) 7.5%
Taurine (min.) 0.35 %
Glucosamine (min.) 1400 mg/kg
Chondroitin (min.) 1200 mg/kg
Microorganisms (min.) 120M cfu/kg
pH 5.5

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you don't feel like feeding such a high protein level, try Acana Wild Prairie. It is very similar to Orijen, made by same company, but with less protein (33), lower calcium %, and less expensive. It's an all life stages food so don't worry about it not being puppy food. I think the calcium level in Orijen seems a bit high for puppies, although it probably doesn't matter much anymore at 11 months.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I feed Origen as an adjunct to ProPlan Performance especially on heavy training or testing days. Just little extra beef so to say. I only feed it to my 2 1/2 yo Tar b/c of his work load. So you might want to try feeding that way at first to see how your dog reacts to the food. I do think 38% is a lot of protein. Definately, I would not give it to my older dog. IMO. I know Origen is one of the best however, (Canadian eh!) but I love PPP first. Great food. Good luck in your deliberations!:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You do not list the more important info. What is the digestibility level and how many kilocalories are there per unit. You could grind up bird feathers and get a food that is nearly100% protein. Digestibility might be low. So just having the protein level does not tell you much. You might want to call the company and find that out.
Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
You do not list the more important info. What is the digestibility level and how many kilocalories are there per unit. You could grind up bird feathers and get a food that is nearly100% protein. Digestibility might be low. So just having the protein level does not tell you much. You might want to call the company and find that out.
Jim
Blimey, have you never heard of this brand before, it's not chicken feathers. The calories, etc. are on the company website.

I feed Acana, and feed about 1/3 less than I would have to feed of a mainstream brand.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Had a client dog on it and he was always locked up with the squirts and would not gain weight. I finally took him off of it and he does great now. I think that food is garbage, makes no sense what the company puts out as saying it's the most natural diet for a dog. I've never seen a dog eat all fish.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim
CALORIE CONTENT and DISTRIBUTION
Metabolizable energy for ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE BREED is 3400 kcal/kg or 410 kcal per 250ml cup (120g).

Calories in ORIJEN are distributed to support peak health with 40% from protein, 25% from fruits and vegetables, and 35% from fat.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I've done quite some research on this as an amateur (non-vet), so take it for what it's worth.
Protein level is not the problem, according to the studies I've read. Calorie content is the problem. This is said to be true for pups and adults. Apparently nutritional studies were done in the 1990s giving pups the following:

• super high protein diets, but normal appropriate calorie levels along with normal exercise. These pups had no skeletal or organ development problems.

• other pups were given higher than appropriate calories with low levels of exercise. These pups did have skeletal problems.

• low protein diets yielded organ and muscle development problems.

Any change in diet for your dog should probably be done gradually to ease the transition for the gut. But in my un professional opinion, it seems the studies - even at the Eukanuba labratory - says high protein is a good thing.

I feed my 3 mo puppy Evo adult dog food with 43% protein and 22 %fat, no grains and high quality ingredients. I only have to feed 2.25 cups per day compared to 3.5 cups of Eukanuba puppy food as recomended by their own feeding chart. So I feed less food, but higher quality and feed 300 less calories per day than Euk recommends. Evo says to feed 1237 calorie per day for a 20lb 3-4 month old pup, Euk says to feed 1559 cals for same.

Jen

·
Registered
435 Posts
Read Orijen's white paper on this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the high protein content. When you read that "white paper", you'll understand. There is a ton of misinformation out there about this subject.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My pup, now 6 months has done very well on Orijen Large Puppy. I plan to continue feeding her Large Puppy until about 8 months old then reassess whether to switch her to Orijen adult.

I'm not sure it makes sense to put your pup on Large Puppy at 11 months. You may want just start on adult food.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
16% seem a tad low on the fat content for an extremely active dog. How it was explained to me by a canine nutritionist, Dogs use fat as we use complex carbs, long sustainable energy. The body can only metabolized so much protein, until your just paying for expensive poop. Protein is quick energy where-as Dogs can store and use fat a lot longer, its very digestible and well absorbed, and it carries a lot more calories. A good dog food has a particular balance btw protein (quick energy) and fat (long sustained energy). Eukanuba and Purina put out a few really developed studies on optimal balancing of nutrients, done in sled dogs. I don't know if they were ever published online.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have always used PPP before. But when current dog (22 month CLM) came off puppy food, he didn't seem to be doing well on it. Had trouble keeping his ears clean, plaque on teeth was abnormal, and he was licking/bitting his feet a lot. Switched him to EUK and he just wouldn't eat it. Tried Orijins red. Everything cleared in 6 weeks. Kept him on it for 6 months and he seemed to do great. Then went back to PPP for 6 weeks. Symptoms came back. Went back to Orijins, symptons went away.

Beats me. But I guess we'll stay with it. (Wicked expensive food though.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
My dog also had a constant case of the squirts so I quit using it. Feeding Taste of The Wild and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've recently started looking into Dr. Tim's dog food--developed by a sled dog racing veterinarian in Marquette, Michigan, and manufactured in Ohio (at a plant where there have been no food recalls). Three levels of protein/fat based on the dog's activity level, high grade ingredients, blah blah blah. I've tried the really high protein diets that were grain free, but my guys had trouble adjusting to them. 'Nuf said, just a suggestion for another diet to consider.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My dog also had a constant case of the squirts so I quit using it. Feeding Taste of The Wild and I'm happy with it.
Please check your lot production number on your bag as there has been a recent recall for Taste of the Wild

·
Registered
680 Posts
Looking into switching dog food for 11 mo clm. Checking out Orijen and the protein level is at 38%. Looks like quite the jump from 24% which is my current dog food.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin,

I weaned my last pup onto Orijen Lrg Breed Puppy food which she ate until she was 1 year of age. Her Penn Hip rating was 90th percentile (Distraction Index .31/.30). I'm going to use it on my upcoming litter.

To those of you with loose stool problems, you need to transition slowly and feed less of it than the grain-based feeds you are used to.

Swack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts