RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago returning to our yard after a run on the fields behind us and a swim in the river Buddy did a head over heals down a bank on our property. He seemed basically fine. This is what is going on now.
I send him for a mark he flies out at top speed but is slow and not running right on the return. If I toss a fun bumper in the pool he thinks about going for it. On land retrieves his running is all messed up. His legs are not right..
Add to this he is EIC affected.
EIC issues or something else?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like his EIC...

Meredith
Since he is 7 1/2 and we have been managing the EIC all of his life it's not normal for him. Land can be issue after about 15 minutes . We quit long before that.
The pool has always been the safe zone.
It does not look like an EIC collapse is about to happen. Been there too many times done that.
He doesn't look right on the back end but it is not like an EIC collapse about to happen. i'm not sure how to explain it and that is the issue.
The ortho vet and even his regular vet don't see him running every day.
I think it is something else and don't want it brushed off as EIC.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Since he is 7 1/2 and we have been managing the EIC all of his life it's not normal for him. Land can be issue after about 15 minutes . We quit long before that.
The pool has always been the safe zone.
It does not look like an EIC collapse is about to happen. Been there too many times done that.
He doesn't look right on the back end but it is not like an EIC collapse about to happen. i'm not sure how to explain it and that is the issue.
The ortho vet and even his regular vet don't see him running every day.
I think it is something else and don't want it brushed off as EIC.
take a video of him to show the veterinarian his abnormal gait

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Legs or spine. I did a chiropractor's visit on one of mine. She likes to throw herself around a lot. Helped greatly.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Doesn't sound like EIC given all that you have described.

A number of years ago, I was in a bad car wreck on the interstate - I walked away from it, a few bruises and feeling kinda achy all over. A week or so later I was in my docs office (which I almost never do) and a month later I was in the ER, then the OR. Sometimes it takes a while for the problem to show up, IMHO I don't think that's really any different with dogs.

Dr Ed is the expert, take his suggestion and video if you can.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If his gait appears abnormal, especially on the rear legs, does he seem to be favoring one side more than the other? Possible cruciate (CCL) injury? Even a partial tear can show up as intermittent lameness or abnormal gait. A video of him moving may be the ticket to a diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Taking a video is a great idea and easy to do these days.

Where are you taking him?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts