RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all I can say is WOW!
I dont remember so much anxiety since my own kids were born.
It was an amazing experience. I wanted to share but I dont even know where to start....
How about with mom, Moxie (hightest She's got Moxie) , my 4 year old lean mean huntin machine. She is my second Hightest pup, and both have been great. I decided when I got her that I wanted to breed her, and I wanted to do it right, not just somebody popping puppies out of the garage.....After we got her hips certified, eyes checked,and EIC and CNM checked, then it was time to find as my daughter says "a suitor". We also wanted a breeder that would work with us and help us if we needed it. Enter Tidewater Jesse James and Roy and Deb Schalla. I have hunted with them and also with a couple of their dogs so I knew going in they were good people. Roy was always available and it was reassuring he and our vet were only a phone call away.

We ended up with 11 pups, the smallest was 7oz and the largest 13 oz, 2 of them didnt make it...man that was hard! I mean really hard. Mom did awesome. It took her a couple pups to figure out what was going on, but after that she was a pro. We have 6 boys and 2 girls, all yellow.

Ok enough rambling, I've been reading on this site forever and now I cant shut up.........:D

how about some pics.....

The waiting.....

and here is Jesse (the suitor)

and mom with her pups....

·
Registered
269 Posts
The fun is just getting ready to start!
My wife kept a daily log book with info about each pup when we had our first litter.
Her notes are so detailed I keep trying to get her to write a book.
Goodluck!

·
Registered
883 Posts
You're HOOKED and the fun is just beginning. You are going to be in for one of the best educations that you could have, and it will never, never end. Our last litter produced only three pups and that required a C section. All pups were over 1 1/2 lbs. and were at least a day late. Vet delivered the pups, litter co owner handled the anesthesia and I rubbed the pups, cleaned them up and demucused them while the Vet sewed her up. I had delivered a bunch of pups and only remembered one pup C section delivered, but this was something else. It was good that there were only 3 because I was wornout by the time our female was sewed up.

It was not the way I had intended to end my time as a breeder, but it was educational. All is well with the mother and all three pups. Sorry there were no pictures of the operation, but there just was not enough time. I will never forget it though, Bill

·
Registered
227 Posts
nice read and cute pups, even though they are the wrong color, but its ok, some one will love them any ways, lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice read and cute pups, even though they are the wrong color, but its ok, some one will love them any ways, lol
They are the right color...just dont have any color expression ;) ( I had to throw that one in there, couldnt help it...)

And you guys were right, all the anxiety...its just beginning. First time mom, first time breeder, small pups......yeah...the axiety is still there.

The good news is all of them are gaining weight, getting stronger every day. Even the smallest one is gaining, went from 7oz to 10oz in one day, we weighed them all last night. I think we are going to keep weighing them each day till they (or we) get out of the scary window. Momma is eating and drinking a ton as well.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Congrats! Adorable!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts