RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that the general consensus from most is that it is unwise to mix training programs, and most amateur trainers will see the best results if they follow one program and stick with it... I'm using Hillmann's Puppy DVD because a lot of guys I trust recommended it and have loved it so far... however, I wanted to see what people thought about changing the order up on certain things.

I'm not talking anything crazy like FF before the dog learns sit... or expecting the dog to learn heel before he has learned to walk on a leash... but for instance doing intro to guns and birds closer together where Hillmann spaces them out a bit, or teaching commands that Hillmann doesn't cover such as the "place" command? For us that command will be priceless here in the house so I taught it early on (still reenforcing things Hillmann stresses like sitting at "place" and not moving till I release you)

I guess I'm just wondering what y'alls thoughts are on going out of order in appropriate places that fit your dog and your lifestyle?

·
Registered
185 Posts
On of Bill's suggestions is to mix up your training some to keep a higher level of interest. I would think this falls right into that catagory.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The philosophical guidance in Hillmann's Puppy DVD should dictate the answers to these kinds of questions. I'm referring to the ongoing commentary throughout the DVD about things like relationship, attitude, balance, trust, fairness, and on and on. Instead of worrying about doing things a little differently or in a different order, ask yourself if you are aligned with Bill's philosophical principles.

Jim

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sounds like a good question to post on Bill's forum. Since you decided that his program was the one you wanted to follow, you may as well go direct to the program-meister--from what I have seen of it he is quite helpful and the question may have already been asked, if you use the search function.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts