RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to make a device that will hold a dead duck in open water?

Thanks,

Malcolm

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You can use a rat trap with an weight on it to keep it in place - like a little anchor-thingy. Then just slip a few feathers of the wing under the neck snapper and you should be all set.

Not the most technical jargon regards,

Andy

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Malcolm said:
Thanks!
Would a Home Depot carry these items?
Most hardware stores do. Doesn't need to be a large contraption. A wooden mouse trap works fine. For that matter, even a clothes pin glued to a chunk of 1x4 will work to 'float' the duck, and hold it in position. Just clamp the wing feathers in the c-pin. Don't want anything so stiff it spooks the dog trying to free it. Make sure it's anchored well.

Good luck,

UB

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have seen floaters without a rat trap. On these a fired 12 ga casing was used. The primer removed and a wood screw was placed through the primer hole to stand the casing upright. The ducks bill was inserted into casing to prevent the duck from floating away.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Richard Halstead said:
I have seen floaters without a rat trap. On these a fired 12 ga casing was used. The primer removed and a wood screw was placed through the primer hole to stand the casing upright. The ducks bill was inserted into casing to prevent the duck from floating away.
Those will work in a 'calm' slough. (sorry, Richard...I shoulda said "most of the 10,000 lakes" in Minnesoooota) :wink:

But a true "out to sea" scenario is usually on a LARGE body of water, that will produce some wave action, and the 'beak-in-a-hull' system doesn't provide as good a hold for that situation. Of course I've only seen it used a couple of times, and it may have been the inexperience of the bird planter that was causing the problems.

UB

·
Registered
317 Posts
I believe I asked the same question after a fateful day in North Dakota after a unsucessful and especially deep water blind. The response was folks have seen FC's turn back from such "oceans".

However, one particular PM sticks out. This gentleman recommended a hoola-hoop. Yes, a hoola-hoop. Toss in in some b/w bumpers and get that dog comfortable out there in deep water, i.e, confidence. Not sure how well it would work in rough conditions but guessing it could be anchored down.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I always kept a rat trap in my truck. I contact cemented it onto a thin sheet of styrofoam cut to exact size. I spray painted the whole thing orange, and attached a decoy anchor line and a sinker to hold it in place.

NOTE: Be careful not to attach the bird too firmly. Many a dog has dragged in the whole rig!

Evan

·
Registered
687 Posts
Richard Halstead said:
I think I like this. What keeps the shotgun Hull from sinking?

·
Registered
505 Posts
No matter which device you use,it should be introduced on land first. If something goes wrong its much easier to make the dog comfortable with the device on land than it is on water. Chances are that nothing will go wrong, but if it does, put on your spurs, because you're in for a tough ride.
It's better to safe than sorry later.
GG

·
Registered
167 Posts
I saw a plan to make one which I really liked and therefore manufactured one for myself. One of the big problems when I have seen them used before was that the dog could get tangled in the line and drag them back with a possible hazard for the dog and this also takes time to get it back into the same spot. The design was as follows: Get some 1/2 inch PVC tube and two elbows. Cut the tube into three lengths; one length just shorter than the floating board you intend to use, and the other two about one foot long. Put them together in the form of three sides of a rectangle with the one cut just shorter than the board in the middle. Use some metal brackets (for electrical wiring to fasten the middle one to the bottom of the board. This will have the two outer legs hanging down. Run a heavy cord through the tubing and tie a heavy weight on one end and a lighter weight on the other. The plan is to put it in place with the heavy weight on the bottom and the lighter suspended above the bottom. The tubing keeps the line well under water so that the dog can't become tangle in it and the lighter weight keeps it in place and will cause it to drift back to its spot after the dog has pulled the duck away from the trap on the board. Experiment with how strong a trap you want to hold the bird in place and you do have to make sure that the cord is of a length to keep the short end elevated above the bottom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts