RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does training for a Master Hunt test (distractions and control) and a Owner/Handler Qualifier(distance and "white") for the same weekend affect the dogs performance in each event?

Several Master Hunt Tests are scheduled in Texas this year that include an Owner/Handler Qualifiier. It is appealing to enter both events, however I am focused on the Master Hunter title and do not want the dog confused (checking up short; overuns; white; etc) by using "trial" setups vs. "Master" setups.

Training for a derby last spring required differenct setups than the Master Hunt Test training setups. We trained for one event; the derby, due to the difference in distance and no "blind" requirement. The 3rd series in the derby included a memory bird of388 yds as a water "cheater". If we were running a Master Test that same weekend the dog may have over run marks due to our distance training for the derby.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
That's a good question. I think, in part, that it depends on the dog, his maturity, training experience etc... That said, I don't have much experience with this. I did run a O/H Qual on a Friday then a Master that Sat/Sun and was concerned about the same thing you are since the Master is my primary goal at the moment. That said, he ran the best Master test he's run to date after finishing the Qual with a Jam. Leading up to the event, we mixed short and long marks to get him paying attention to both and ran only Qual level blinds. Many of the concepts you see are similar in both so we didn't change much up from normal training as far as that goes.

I have one friend who's dog is QAA already that wanted to run the O/H but is focused on finishing his MH. Because he was concerned with his dog coming up too much from the Qual to pass the Master, he decided to focus on the Master test only. Like I said, it depends on the dog.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Like I said, it depends on the dog.
That is what I would say. We only train for FTs but run a couple of HTs a year, including usually one HT with an OHQ where we will enter both. If I am running a HT, we *may* work on some shorter stuff the day before but not always. The dogs--at least mine and I think most of this level--can mark and if they are used to both won't blindly think "I need to run 300 yards and then hunt". That said, I try to give the dogs every chance, especially in the HT, by using the easy cue and a very soft send. The only times I have had a problem is running first in with a very short HT mark, so I have learned to take special care.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
It depends on the dog-an older dog gets the difference but one thing that happens to many coming from the Master is when they see those flyer guns out there in white they won't look past them for the long bird which may retire. Run a long single with flyer guns standing up or we routinely put several shirts on sticks next to a short gun so they have to learn to focus past them all the time at the long then retired.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Always train for the level above the one you are running, so all age set ups will get you through both.

Bert

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
How does training for a Master Hunt test (distractions and control) and a Owner/Handler Qualifier(distance and "white") for the same weekend affect the dogs performance in each event?

Training for both Master and Qual leading up to running both events in a weekend will certainly have a negative impact on performance in both events as compared to focused training for only one of the two. That doesn't mean that you can't run well in each event.

In the Qual you are trying to win and in the Master you are trying to pass. It doesn't take a 10 to pass a Master test, it may take a 10 to win the Qual.

My dogs have been trained on both FT and HT set ups since pups. They didn't have the common problem you see with dogs brought up in HTs of not seeing past a short gunners in white coats. The biggest problem that I encountered, and I train primarily for FT rather than HT, was with steadiness issues on the in your face marks in the Master tests. One of my dogs is a rock on the line regardless of what is going on around her while the other two are a challenge to keep under control. The last HT O/H Qual that we ran (was my 1st Qual), all three pups (all between 2 and 2 1/2 years old) smashed the HT. The Qual was not so good, but failure in the Qual was not related to issues of over-running or hunting short on marks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts