RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first Lab in March. The training is coming along very slow but I am seeing improvements. When I picked the puppy up the breeder he told me he had not finished making payments on the sire. As a result the registration paperwork would come from the sire's owner. Since march I have been told that they have finished paying for the dog but can not reach the owner for the paperwork. He is CEO or owner of a nationwide business and out of town a lot, so they say. The breeder I bought from keeps saying one more month. When should I become concerned? I mean I am concerned now but want to have this resolved. I have been told that this is very unusual and the dog should have not been breed until all the payments were settled. I am looking for advice on what to do next. I am ready to give them a choice of the paperwork or half my money back.
Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
In Canada the breeder has 6 months to supply the new owners with the registration papers. If you don't have your paper by then you file a complaint with the CKC and they sanction the breeder. I understand things work differently in the States. Here we also have to identify each pup, tattoo or microchip before they leave the property.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I got my first Lab in March. The training is coming along very slow but I am seeing improvements. When I picked the puppy up the breeder he told me he had not finished making payments on the sire. As a result the registration paperwork would come from the sire's owner. Since march I have been told that they have finished paying for the dog but can not reach the owner for the paperwork. He is CEO or owner of a nationwide business and out of town a lot, so they say. The breeder I bought from keeps saying one more month. When should I become concerned? I mean I am concerned now but want to have this resolved. I have been told that this is very unusual and the dog should have not been breed until all the payments were settled. I am looking for advice on what to do next. I am ready to give them a choice of the paperwork or half my money back.
Thanks
I always like to give people the benefit of doubt.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Payments on the sire? Are you referring to the stud fee?

Or did the breeder "own" both sire and dam?

How well do you know the breeder? Have you called the stud dog owner?

WRL

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I think I would want more than half my money back as without the papers you won't be able to register your pup and won't be able to run hunt tests etc.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think a personal visit in order. I know many folks in that have dealings with the retriever games that have "high power" jobs, that take care of business when it comes to their hounds. I think the visit needs to be to the breeder. Shame on you for not getting the paperwork on a puppy lined out when you picked up the pup. Is this supposed to be a reputable breeder?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would make a call to AKC, you can inquire if the litter was ever registered. AKC will confirm or deny only, they won't disclose any other info. They might be able to advise on a course of further action. Continue to attempt to contact both the breeder and stud dog owner and let them know you have contacted AKC.
If you never receive the papers, you can register the dog under a Purebred Alternative Listing and still run Hunt Tests and other AKC events other than Field Trials.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Are you talking about AKC registration? I had a lot of trouble getting registration papers on a puppy a few years years ago. The AKC registration department was able to give me info on the status of the litter registration, when the paperwork had been mailed to the breeder, etc, etc.

From the AKC site:
"Registration Information
Hours - 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern time
phone: (919) 233-9767
This office is responsible for handling all calls involving any type of registration (including Foreign Registration) question or problem. When you want any AKC registration forms or answers to registration questions, this is the office to call. If you are calling about a registration application, keep in mind that the normal processing time is approximately two to three weeks. If you want to check the status of an application you submitted, you must be able to provide the customer service representative with the breeding information on your dog or litter."

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I think I would want more than half my money back as without the papers you won't be able to register your pup and won't be able to run hunt tests etc.

You can still run hunt test, just have to apply for a certain type of registration. It's not a big deal.

But I would be getting aggravated with that breeder, that is pretty unusual sounding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like I gave you guys more questions than I got answers. I will try to clarify. The breeder had just bought the sire. He was still making payments to the owner (big wig CEO or owner of business). The breeder told me 3 or 4 weeks before picking the puppy up that the AKC papers would come from the owner of the sire. When I picked the puppy up he told me he had finished payment and the papers would come from him 3-4 weeks later. I followed up with him twice after that point and the story is that he can not get in touch with the owner to get the paperwork. Each time it will be another 4 weeks. His dog reputation was good, his personal dealing reputation was not as good. He has some better business complains against him. They seemed to be people that wanted dogs and backed out at the last minuet. I feel like I have given him plenty of time to get this fixed. He even charged more for these pups because of the expense of the sire. Going to see him will be difficult since he lives 7 hours away. My plan for now is to contact the AKC and go from there.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you purchased the pups without getting the papers at the time it is kind of your own fault. I would never purchase a dog that is supposed to be registered without getting the papers at the time of purchase. This seems to be a common problem.

Are you sure the sire and dam were actually registered with the AKC?

·
Registered
317 Posts
In Canada the breeder has 6 months to supply the new owners with the registration papers. If you don't have your paper by then you file a complaint with the CKC and they sanction the breeder. I understand things work differently in the States. Here we also have to identify each pup, tattoo or microchip before they leave the property.
Just to clarify as it gets confused often. It is 6 months from date of purchase / pick up.
Not from dob as some people think ....

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Sure sounds shady to me. After you follow all the advice given previously, you will have a better idea whether you will ever get papers from the breeder. You won't be getting them from the sire's previous owner. Maybe he was paid for the sire, maybe not. I am guessing, but your best bet will be to contact AKC about the situation and start the alternative registration for your puppy.

BUYERS BEWARE. If there's some song and dance about AKC registration when you go to get your puppy, get your deposit back (if you can) and walk away.
It will save you a lot of grief. There are a lot of well-bred puppies available by reputable breeders.

Helen

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Two different times I had a terrible time with the AKC, lost papers I sent in twice........aaarrrghhhhh finally I got the fax number and faxed it in, saved lots of time. Those were both frozen semen litters, if it was a natural it should be easily done on line.

That's been my experience regards,

Aaron

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Shouldn't the person signing off on the stud approval be the current owner at the time of the breeding? In your case the CEO. I would have to think that the breeder/stud buyer would not have the studs papers until the stud had been totally paid for.

This brings up a new question of should the old stud owner get a stud fee for sevices of a dog which he legally owns?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts