RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What paperwork will I need to take a dog into Canada?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If it's flying you need the USDA health certificate (pretty sure it's the same one required on any domestic flight) and a rabies certificate unless it's a pup under 3 mos.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
All you need is a current rabies cert.

Don't need a vets note or anything else. Keep the dog food in a bag too. If you dump it into a Rubbermaid and don't have proof what/where it came from they can make you leave it in Canada on the way back in... That is a new one a friend of mine just learned recently.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Keep the dog food in a bag too. If you dump it into a Rubbermaid and don't have proof what/where it came from they can make you leave it in Canada on the way back in... That is a new one a friend of mine just learned recently.
As well as US Customs looking for open dog food - rather than a sealed bag - it must be food made in either the US or Canada and they are specific as to the make-up of the food. Food made from lamb and goat(???) even in a unopened bag is not allowed to be imported into the US.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/637/kw/bringing dog food into the us

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Canada requires 1 year Rabies so if you're on a 3 year you need a 1 yr or ask vet to print a cert that will work.
Also at border don't mention field trials but simply say you're headed to a dog show if asked.
Leave guns home.
Be prepared to loose your food so research ahead of time location of stores carrying your food.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a cabin in Ontario Can. of 7 years, and spend couple months a year there. All we need is health cert. showing all shots and rabies current and owner papers. Carefull with dogs food, sometime they let it thru and other times they don't. Depends on their mood that time and day. And we have never been asked to show papers in 7 years, and they even come out even and pet the 5 dogs going across. I had to dump a brand new bag of imas dog food at the border just to go to Wal-Mart in Fort Frances to buy the same thing again, that only happened once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts