RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this shot at our club's HRC test this past weekend, after they got a pass in Finished. It just speaks volumes for their partnership and I was fortunate to have my camera in hand to catch the moment.

555306_4079345067909_1410995207_74434124_550663585_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
That is a wonderful photo, Sharon. Thank you so much for posting.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Nice shot, great timing.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Great shot from a human point of view. This is what we as humans see in this photo.

I've had a very successful trainer tell me that anytime that paw comes on me or over me it is my dog trying to be dominant over me. Sorry to throw controversy on this seemingly innocent pic. I know this because my dog tries this on me all the time!

BHB

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Great shot from a human point of view. This is what we as humans see in this photo.

I've had a very successful trainer tell me that anytime that paw comes on me or over me it is my dog trying to be dominant over me. Sorry to throw controversy on this seemingly innocent pic. I know this because my dog tries this on me all the time!

BHB
Just when I was feeling uplifted on a rainy morning. Oh well I still love the pic and there does seem to be a real connection between dog and man in that photo.

John

·
Registered
915 Posts
Just when I was feeling uplifted on a rainy morning. Oh well I still love the pic and there does seem to be a real connection between dog and man in that photo.

John
I agree! I'm going to keep looking upon it that way!

BHB

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

BHB
It's very situational. Much like the dominance hump. Dogs do this to show dominance over another dog, but they also do it to initiate play or keep the play going. Paws coming up onto their human can mean different things in different situations, too. I've found with all of the daycare dogs I get and my personal dogs that it can definitely convey a sense of affection and mutual admiration. There are also times when it definitely conveys a sense of discomfort and a desire for the human to give them more space. It can also be dominance via "claiming" the human as their own. And it can mean the dog is trying to claim dominance over the human. It just depends on the dog and the situation in which the action is happening. In this case, it looks the mutual admiration society.

Just my opinion and experience running 20 to 30 dogs of different breeds every weekday in daycare for the past 4 years. I'm not an expert or claim to know what dogs are thinking. But sometimes, you can tell how a situation feels and generalize from it.

Great photo!!!

Jen

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
that's a dog saying Thank You and nobody is going to change my mind about that!! great shot!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My dog does this because it is one of the tricks I taught her as a pup when she was "learning how to learn". I used to have treats and would wait to see what behaviors she would offer. It is amazing how quickly a dog can learn anything when rewarded for a particular offered behavior. In this instance, she accidentally touched my leg with her paw. Within 5 minutes she was tapping me with both paws as she very quickly discovered she would be rewarded for this. No particular use for this trick, just teaching her to keep offering behaviors, keep trying to figure out what the correct thing is. Pays dividends down the road as they don't give up so easily when you are teaching them new things.

dawn

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
IMHO...It is a meeting that is share between us as a trainer and the dog who knows that we are pleased with their performance....No more.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got to watch it all unfold through the camera lens, and I can promise you this was just a nice moment between dog and handler, with no dominance play involved. The dog was offering its paw while the owner was rubbing its shoulder, and then the dog just gently rested the paw on the owner's arm. I feel fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time, camera in hand.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
When a couple of my dogs do it, it feels very much like they are saying "you're mine and I'm yours" in a very bonded, affectionate sort of way. It happens at times of great closeness, and I promise you it isn't dominance in these instances.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree, paw on the arm is situational. What you should do (IMHO), is look at the dog's body language, his eyes, what are those conveying?

In this picture, look at the dog's eyes & facial expression, the dog's eyes are soft, its more like "we did it boss".

In addition, the dog's muzzle has a slight tinge of grey. To me, this says the dog is older, & most likely dominance issues were settled long ago, & this is a team.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is Steve Stauner and his dog Drake. Steve is a training partner of mine and posts on this site, and I can assure you that Drake is not showing any sort of dominance. Drake is a fully amateur trained HRCH and MH, and those 2 have spent countless hours training and hunting together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts