RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Fine. Then the rules should state the handler has 15 seconds to send. Why should the rules be ambiguous? Especially since it's "competition".
The tests are the specific responsibility of the judges, there is no ambiguity about judge’s discretion. Extended time on line with repetitive commands that are ignored by the dog does not make for a pleasing performance and robs precious time from other contestants who do not require such extended stays on line before calling for the birds. Multiply that extra 30-45 seconds per dog by the total entry number, that time lost could well be the difference in completing the stake in a timely fashion. A smooth effortless arrival on the line and a timely signaling for the birds implies a level of competence and training that is applicable to the final results. My answer to those who complain about the test(s) I put on is if you don’t like what I do when I judge, don’t enter. 😎

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
The Rules state that the Judges can determine when a dog must be sent. Whether you like it or not, judging has a subjective component.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It sounds like favoritism is easily accomplished in this game. Not for me.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Easy to make pronouncements about matters of which you have no knowledge

Reactions: Steve Shaver

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're never going to get new people in this game with rules like this. I spend $100+ to enter and you can't give me 30 seconds to do my best?
Every contestant pays the same entry fee.
You'd be hard pressed to name any competition that doesn't involve time constraints or judging discretion
Why should your entry fee give you preferential treatment to other contestants?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
When approaching the line, I walk slowly and even stop briefly as my dog picks out the guns, he almost always knows where they are before he gets to the line. Once at the line I take 10 seconds, possibly 15, for the dog to settle in before calling for the birds.
Most handlers I see take about this same amount of time.

If I spend much time trying to line my dog he will start thinking he is running a blind.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It sounds like favoritism is easily accomplished in this game. Not for me.

You should take the time to understand the game and the training for it. If not then your right probably not for you.
If you train to run trials most dogs will pick out the gun stations before they even get to the line. When I get to the line I sit the dog down give him a second look with just a bit more focus and also to let him know I am there and a part of the team. Focus him on the first bird thrown and call for the birds. Never timed it but it doesnt take long for a dog that is trained for it.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
There are always going to be people who complain with no knowledge or understanding. That trend is amplified by the internet

21 - 28 of 28 Posts