RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend wanting to breed his well bred hunting dog (female) to a HRCH/MH. The male is EIC, CNM & CERF clear. He has PennHIP rating in the top 80%, distraction index of .31 on one hip and .35 on the other but no OFA. Does not having any OFA rating present (even though PennHIP says hips are fine) a problem to any of you for breeding purposes?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
No. PennHIP is a lot more reliable data than OFA. Still leaves elbowys, eyes, etc to check, but hips? PennHIP is better data backed by better science

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would say Penn Hip is the gold standard compared to OFA. OFA tries to make the hips look as good as possible where Penn Hip makes them look as bad as possible therefore Penn Hip is more accurate because they are actually measuring the laxity within the joint. It's just a matter of educating the buyers of this litter what Penn Hip is and tests for.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Okay, I know nothing about Penn Hip (hope I spelled it right) for comparison if a dog has been deemed normal by OFA what is a comparable rating from Penn Hipp? Or is there a way to compare?

·
Registered
136 Posts
some people use penn hip when they do not get the results they want from ofa.
also you can get up to 80% of dogs that are failed by penn hip, might not have bad hips according to one article.
Penn hip has been around since the early 90's and has not surpassed ofa as the go to hip exam.

personally if the dog is good on either exam, it should be ok, but there are a lot of raw nerves on both side of that issue

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
some people use penn hip when they do not get the results they want from ofa.
also you can get up to 80% of dogs that are failed by penn hip, might not have bad hips according to one article.
Penn hip has been around since the early 90's and has not surpassed ofa as the go to hip exam.

personally if the dog is good on either exam, it should be ok, but there are a lot of raw nerves on both side of that issue
Wow , I figure it the other way around....I am pretty sure that OFA Mild/Fair would not rate w/ Penn Hip either, BUT I know I have had dogs with below 50 % that went on to OFA GOOD , it has happened multiple times . I use BOTH and make a decision on the whole dog , not just their hips...........

·
Registered
390 Posts
Okay, I know nothing about Penn Hip (hope I spelled it right) for comparison if a dog has been deemed normal by OFA what is a comparable rating from Penn Hipp? Or is there a way to compare?
I have one dog that was given in the 90% by PennHip, and OFA rated him a Good. Hope this helped you.

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
Wow , I figure it the other way around....I am pretty sure that OFA Mild/Fair would not rate w/ Penn Hip either, BUT I know I have had dogs with below 50 % that went on to OFA GOOD , it has happened multiple times . I use BOTH and make a decision on the whole dog , not just their hips...........
Do NOT expect consistency in results in comparing OFA to PennHIP. I had two dogs done with near-identical PH #s. One .46/.50 received "mild dysplastic" from OFA (no DJD present; at 6 years old). The other was .50/.50 ( 2 years old) & received an "excellent". Another dog I bred to had PH #s .28/.30 (about as good as it gets) and received OFA "good".

DJD is the definitive answer.

Why has PH not become more prevalent? Lots of reasons ... anesthesia required; more expensive. I continue to do OFA simply because that's what people expect dogs to have as "custom". Experts have noted that using two evaluation methods is preferred. So, those who are doing only OFA, might get more information by also using PennHIP.

If you, OP, are curious about why no OFA, simply ask the dog's owner. If the dog did not receive a normal reading from OFA, you should be entitled to full disclosure. If the xrays are available to you, they could be sent to an independent, board-certified radiologist for a 2nd opinion. That only costs around $40 - $45 and might put your mind at ease.

There are several threads on PennHIP and OFA, so you might want to do a search and read some of those threads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts