RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having difficulties with the heel command. He will heel well when we are walking, but i cannot for the life of me get him to come sit at my heel when we are not walking. Have any of you have this issue or is it just a newb type thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Start with him siting facing you. With a small treat lure him into the heel position. Then give treat. He will catch on fast.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Put him in a front sit and call him in and right before he gets to you take a step toward him and pull him into place with your check cord. Doesnt take them long to figure it out. This is what works well for me... I really like using the Delmar Wonder lead for this and all things heel.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Do a lot of circles (left and right) and stairstep type heeling patterns. When he's in good heel position, reward him! Though Rally obedience gets the eye roll from some, it actually really does help w/ heeling (and those finishes to heel). If you have a club near you, it may be worth checking out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can start with food to get them to connect to you. I spent 2 months teaching my dog to heel in the proper position with Rally classes. My dogs would not heel at all. I put a treat in my hand to bait them at the proper heeling position at first. Then my hand comes up and I bend my elbow at 90 degrees. I do all sorts of heeling patterns. I do this inside of fenced area off lead. Take the treat away gradually and the dog will automatically do it after a few weeks. After they stay glued to your leg then start with the sit. Take a few steps forward use the sit command or the tweet. The dog should sit on verbal or whistle. I don't use the E collar during this phase. I will use the collar at random for heeling. In more senior test dogs have no collars. They need to learn that sit means sit. You should get the dog to sit on the whistle. One short tweet. I would recommend getting the drill book by Carol Cassidy.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I've always just put the dog in front sit, on a check cord/rope, then said "heel" while using the rope to guide them towards my left side. I then use a heeling stick and tap (or just use it to push) on their out side hip to teach them to swing into position. Never took them more than 2 or 3 sessions to understand as long as they understood heel while walking. I then take them off lead and gradually stretch the distance they are sitting from me, hold my left arm out to my side and say "heel". They sometimes still need the guidance from the heeling stick to speed up their swing into the heel/sit position but not much. Also helps work on sit/stay as you're increasing the distance. Then when you take it into the field and they're returning from a retrieve, I just hold out my arm, say heel when they're 20 or 30 feet away and they swing right in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! Do any of you know of a good video showing how the heeling stick is to be used?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts