1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,268 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Pet Plan is the best!!! :p :p :p

I bought it based on discussions and recommendations here, and it has worked perfectly! No serious injuries or claims! :cool:

JS

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had Petplan 3.5 years now. They have been very easy to work with, and it's paid for itself every year so far. Won't be without it anymore...I highly recommend it to all my dog buddies.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
www.gopetplan.com

We have this on two of our dogs.
Seems resonably priced..
Good peaceof mind if sumpin bad happens.

Free quote on web site,, and you can play with pricing by adjusting deductables, and reimbersable percentages...

We havent had to use it yet thankfully, but many here on the board, have, and are pleased..

MICHAELBAKER

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very happy with my Pet Plan coverage. Only had to use it once but they went out of their way to keep me happy. The underwriter in my state was taking a long time to approve claims, because I called a couple of times on the status, they sent me a $50 Amex card for my trouble. The claim was approved a couple of days later. I got the reimbursement check before the Amex card. Very Happy!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the question and responses! I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Martha,

I have Rex on Petplan as well. I haven't had to make a claim yet, thank goodness. I decided to go with them given that they cover some of the big ticket items that I fear most with a competitive dog of Rex's size, i.e. CCL. Some of the feedback on those that have made claims were positive.

Brent

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Has anyone had experience with pet insurance? What company is best?
As you can see, I have written on the Perils of Pet Plan. They have been the WORST company I have ever done business with. I have put all my other dogs on Purina Care ( have 9 labs). Frankly, I got tired of writing to the dept. of insurance. And, I knew I was going to end up suing them for bad faith. They have been unprofessional, discourteous, claimed they talked to people at my vet's office that they never talked to and didn't exist, questioned by vet's judgment in order to alienate him from me. I have even written to their head vet in order to get claims resolved. My most recent statement to them was "I am certain you wish Dog x were dead, but he's not."

They are not an insurance company. THey advertise you should purchase their product so you don't have to pay out all that money to care for FIDO. But yet, they are a reimbursement policy. YOu now must pay in advance. How many people rally have $6k sitting around? Know what you pay for.

This company is the biggest rip off ever!!!

http://retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83403&highlight=Pet+Plan+Perils

Jeff Telander highly recommends Pets Best.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't have any pet insurance myself, but Consumers Reports magazine recommends that pet owners not subscribe to insurance, but deposit a certain monthly amount in an 'insurance account' to take care of emergencies and large expenses. This may not be the best route for hunting dogs, however.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had both my dogs on pet Plan for about a year and have had one claim. Pet Plan was very responsive and quickly reviewed and paid the claim. My understanding is that dogs are legally considered property. Thus. pet insuance is structured as a form of property insurance. Thus, they reimburse losses rather than pay directly. I am not sure if every pet insurance plan operates this way. From my experience, I think Pet Plan is a good choice.

John

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Have had multiple dogs on Petplan for at least 3 years, they've paid what claims I've submitted without question.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have had both my dogs on pet Plan for about a year and have had one claim. Pet Plan was very responsive and quickly reviewed and paid the claim. My understanding is that dogs are legally considered property. Thus. pet insuance is structured as a form of property insurance. Thus, they reimburse losses rather than pay directly. I am not sure if every pet insurance plan operates this way. From my experience, I think Pet Plan is a good choice.

John
I haven't come across any pet insurance that doesn't require the bill to be paid and submitted for reimbursement. Everyone listed here is submit for reimbursement. http://www.petinsurancereview.com/index.asp

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
This is what Purina Care's site says:
"The process for getting reimbursed is simple and transparent. Just follow these three steps:
1.Print out a claim form before you go to the veterinarian.
2.Have the clinic staff fill out their parts, and you fill out the rest.
3.Mail or fax the completed claim form and the veterinarian’s payment receipt to us.
We process and pay eligible completed claims as quickly as possible."

This is VPI:
"How do I file a claim?

Filing a claim takes just three easy steps:
1.Pay for your pet's treatment at the time of service.
2.Fax, mail or e-mail your claim form along with your invoices.
3.Receive reimbursement. Claims are reimbursed according to your plan benefit schedule once you've met your deductible."

They pretty much all say the same thing, so that's what I went by when I did my shopping & reviewing. Maybe they have a case by case thing for big ticket bills, I don't know.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Claims adjusters and computer submission software allow for auto claims and homeowner's claims to be paid before work is started or completed. Also, those types of insurance have been around for 100 yrs.

I hit a deer a several years ago and did about $3000 damage to the front of my truck. I ordered a steel winch bumper on sale for about $1300 instead of putting on the cheap OEM bumper. After it was all said and done, it cost me $2000 to fix my truck. So I made $1000 and got 2 backstraps out of the deal. Also, a much better bumper.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
This is on Embrace.
How Dog Insurance Works

It's very simple to use your insurance. You:
1.Visit any veterinary hospital, there are no networks
2.Pay for treatment
3.Fax or mail a claim form with your itemized invoice
4.Receive your claim refund in 10 to 15 business days, even sooner with direct deposit

This is on insurancereview:
4. You have to pay the veterinary bill out of your own pocket

With human health insurance, your doctor invoices your insurance company and you may never even see the bill. However, with pet insurance, you have to pay your veterinary bill and then submit your claim to your insurance company for reimbursement. (This is because pet insurance is considered a form of property insurance.)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts