1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
That is a very disturbing article. Where would all the dogs and cats be if people did not have them in their homes. This would not stop the breeding unless all dogs were spayed or nutered to wipe out the species.
I guess they do not like the groups that use dogs to make people feel better.
My dog is treated better than most children.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Interesting article! Thanks for posting!
Only my 9 mo old pup is in a crate while I work for dog food, HT and fun!!! :) His crate is so large I can get in, sit and turn around. My older dog, Blackie is practically running the home:) (if he is not with me), while I am gone but he so gentle with everything like blankets, furniture and other pets such as my birds, I don't have worries. The 2 yo old has the full kitchen during my absence. I think most of us dog owners treat our pets very well, more than some humans get treated. Crates are a good way to transport our pets just before training and shows for safety or keep our dogs in if we are concerned about them while we are gone from the house or times we can't keep an eye on them. I never turn out the fellows unless I am present and only tie them out if they are really warm or wet after training!!! I don't fault any one for having to crate their dogs b/c it is what is best for them and there are no compelling arguments that it causes harm to our dogs or is abusive. Actually the contrary, crating makes them better able to cope. There are always going to be people who are abusive towards animals, people and that is just the way in today's world. I am not saying it should be but... AND
PETA is a group always looking for something to gripe about all the time or buttons to push.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Jeez. Thanks for posting this. I really wish people would be better educated about things like this.

I travel for work annd bring my dog occassionaly. Just yesterday (after airing her, running 3 blinds and several fun bumpers-she was POOPED) I put my dog in a crate in the back hallway of one of our offices. Normally, I let her walk around the office, but she's in heat right now, so I didn't think that would be too cool. Anyway, a few of the women were chastising me for "putting her in jail," and kept going on and on about how sad she looked. I kind of just ignored them, or said things like, no, she really likes her kennel. Anyway, it was pretty aggravating, but they just don't know any better. I'm thinking about forwarding this article to them. Does anyone have experience dealing with "pet" people like this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The people who are part of PETA or even support it are as crazy as some of the terriosts. In theory, PETA is wonderful organization and who wouldnt want to stop people from abusing animals? In practice, PETA is a corrupt organization who holds an animals life above that of a human which I personally have an issue with. I have never abused an animal and i have certainly never defended anyone who has, but the lengths that these people will go to force an agenda is totally crazy. Unfortunatly, people who are poorly educated on crating like the ones who berated whitefoot for putting his dog "in jail" are the same people who support PETA and their agenda's and who continue to fund them. This story really gets under my skin.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have never understood PETA folk nor militant vegans.

I am half convinced that someone could start an Ultra-Vegan movement to convince people that we should only eat vegetables or fruit that can be harvested without harm to the main plant. Do humans have the right to live at the expense of vegetables? I think not! :rolleyes:

For instance, beans can be picked an eaten without harm to the plant whereas carrots cannot. Tomatoes...yes. Lettuce...no. Nuts...yes. Pumkins...no.

After a group of followers joins up, a hierarchy could be established in which those that adhere to the group's guidelines are considered as higher in status than "normal" vegans. T-shirts, mugs and oval car stickers could be purchased by the followers so that they could proudly proclaim that their nutritionally needs do not harm to any plant.

After a few months go by, a "senior" member of the group could announce the err in their ways. The senior member would explain that even the Ultra-Vegans who eat beans, tomatoes and nuts are in interfering with the ability of the seeds of a plant to yield new life. This would be considered an abomination to everything they hold sacred.

The end result would be that everyone in the group would immediately stop eating anything.

The rest of us would miss them.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Geez, nobody ever told my dogs about how bad crates are. I often find one sleeping in a crate with the door wide open. Next thing you know, PETA will accuse us of "Brainwashing" the dogs to think that the crates are okay.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am half convinced that someone could start an Ultra-Vegan movement to convince people that we should only eat vegetables or fruit that can be harvested without harm to the main plant. Do humans have the right to live at the expense of vegetables? I think not! :rolleyes:

For instance, beans can be picked an eaten without harm to the plant whereas carrots cannot. Tomatoes...yes. Lettuce...no. Nuts...yes. Pumkins...no.
they are called fruitarians... really.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Geez, nobody ever told my dogs about how bad crates are. I often find one sleeping in a crate with the door wide open. Next thing you know, PETA will accuse us of "Brainwashing" the dogs to think that the crates are okay.
In order to think like a PETA devotee, you have to put yourself on equal footing with every other life form on the planet.

We keep dogs as pets. That is against their rights as fellow animals. We have no right to breed animals only to keep them in captivity. No matter how nice the home, it is just a big cage. Humans suck.

:monkey:

·
Registered
244 Posts
My dogs love their crates. You know they are pack animals and like enclosed areas like their cousins the wolves. How stupid are these people. If PETA people had their way we would have no pets or animals to eat. You know PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals. The PETA people in my neighborhood let their dogs run loose because they can. There is a state wide leash law. I told her if you are in so good with Animal Control next time I see your dog run into my yard I will file a complaint with your friends. They are bringing lots of rescues from the south up here right now. Of course my 2 girls came from NC. They say I am from the South. No from South Dakota. Duh :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can you say "nuckinfutz?"

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Is PETA really making any headway with their point of view? I have yet to meet a real, live person that said they supported them or believed that they had helpful things to say about the treatment of animals. I tend to think it is one of those closed societies, (not unlike our own) whose biggest believers are themselves. Am I overly naive?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Are you serious...headway yes.. HSUS and PETA are the lobbyists behind state and national breeder legislation. They have successfully made the word "breeder" immediately associated with the image of the puppy mill breeder and the dogs kept in terrible condition sick and dying. Their agenda doesn't differ between the puppy mill breeder and reputable breeders. They want to abolish all breeding.

This pretty much sums it up... and you can bet the politicians that make decisions listen and vote in alliance...
http://www.peta.org/about/why-peta/responsible-breeders.aspx

It's a matter of public record. Just take a look at all the pending legislation
http://www.akc.org/news/sections/legislative_alerts.cfm

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Is PETA really making any headway with their point of view? I have yet to meet a real, live person that said they supported them or believed that they had helpful things to say about the treatment of animals. I tend to think it is one of those closed societies, (not unlike our own) whose biggest believers are themselves. Am I overly naive?
Open your eyes Carol!!! Sadly, probably well over half the population of this country thinks that PETA & H$U$ "help" animals by fighting animal cruelty. That's what those groups want them to think, it makes it easier to extort donations with cleverly written ads showing photos of abandoned and abused puppies and kittens. In reality they don't spend money on, nor do they care about the actual animals--they do not own or operate or fund any actual shelters, they do not fund low or free spay/neuter programs, and they do not "rescue" animals from disasters, they just send delegations there for press opportunities. Yet people continue to send them money and people continue to believe that if PETA and the HSUS supports this proposed law, it must be a good one. WRONG!! These groups' goal is a meatless, petless, gunless society and they spend all the billions they raise lobbying to make it harder and more expensive to own animals.

OK rant done, even tho. I'm sort of preaching to the choir here.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Contrary to common belief, I am not a recluse. I encounter fellow humans every day. Maybe because I am not a breeder or trainer, I have not run afoul of these PETA creatures. But in point of absolute fact, the average joe I speak to either knows nothing of PETA or if they do, they disagree. I see that once again I am not to be taken seriously for having a moderate point of view.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Evidently they are successful terrorist. The object of terrorism is fear mongering and sure appears to be working well here. I am not defending PETA or HSUS in any form whatsoever. They are nothing more than one more money grubbing special interest group that has tried a unique form of marketing their crap. But no more than I meet folks that are buying into the islamic jihad, am I meeting folks that think we need to get rid of our pets. Don't credit them with power they do not have, or you will grant it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts