RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm new here. I appreciate this site and the info available.
I am new to this HRC trials and all that, but we're gonna give it a whirl. I am a first time trainer taking a dog to levels i've never tried. So far he's done well and his bloodlines are great. I will be trying to get him a MH title sometime after lots of hard work of course!
He's a year old, and I think done growing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I'm on the duck hunter refuge. Just about daily.
I am going to see how well I can get this dude trained up and then get some pups off of him. He handled really well this duck season.
First trial is coming up, i'm going to try started and see how that goes.

Thanks for the welcomes! There will be so much I can learn from this site and from some of ya'll on here.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yep, I'm on the duck hunter refuge. Just about daily.
I am going to see how well I can get this dude trained up and then get some pups off of him. He handled really well this duck season.
First trial is coming up, i'm going to try started and see how that goes.

Thanks for the welcomes! There will be so much I can learn from this site and from some of ya'll on here.
What you going to do with the pups off him?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to find a good female to breed him to, and get one pup to train up when he gets a little older.
I have a female yellow also, but she's not this caliber of a dog.
He's out of GRHRCH Vedge Cool Papa Nixon, GRHRCH Cool Coal Papa, and Roux Night Dr. Vedge. He's got some nice background and a great mind and great drive.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
When you were firing 3 guns did he break?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, he didn't wiggle.
I wasn't shooting though! I was making sure he didn't break and that he was watching the birds. After about an hour I started to shoot. It was nice to be able to shoot birds, and finish cripples and not have a dog running crazy after ducks with birds still flying and cripples all over the place.
Been there, done that. With other people's dogs and one of mine.
They shot 4 birds down at one time, and he worked them well, even though we hadn't worked on that many. He got 3, and the other was dead, we had birds circling and I had him get on the dog stand and stay. After the next volly and retrieves, I sent him after that bird from the 4 that were shot down.
If I had the $$ laying around and knew a great trainer I would send him, but I don't have a pocket full of money or any extra really.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Nope, he didn't wiggle.
I wasn't shooting though! I was making sure he didn't break and that he was watching the birds. After about an hour I started to shoot. It was nice to be able to shoot birds, and finish cripples and not have a dog running crazy after ducks with birds still flying and cripples all over the place.
Been there, done that. With other people's dogs and one of mine.
They shot 4 birds down at one time, and he worked them well, even though we hadn't worked on that many. He got 3, and the other was dead, we had birds circling and I had him get on the dog stand and stay. After the next volly and retrieves, I sent him after that bird from the 4 that were shot down.
If I had the $$ laying around and knew a great trainer I would send him, but I don't have a pocket full of money or any extra really.
Sounds like you have a good start. Several good DVD's out there and get with a training group such as Pin Oak or Huricaine HRC. Keep a strong standard on obedience and probably best advice I ever got was don't give a command you can't enforce!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!! I'm in south arkansas and i'm with the south ark bunch.
I'm trying to keep his obedience up good and make it better.
Today we ran into a dilema, which is probably more me than him. I haven't been shooting when we are training since duck season closed. I have been working with bumpers. Well today I threw the bumper and fired to make sure he was going to be steady on fire, he was. But he was looking for a duck. He did get the bumper but he was expecting a duck. He saw the bumper fall, and he scanned the skies for birds.
We will know more after saturday!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Thanks!! I'm in south arkansas and i'm with the south ark bunch.
I'm trying to keep his obedience up good and make it better.
Today we ran into a dilema, which is probably more me than him. I haven't been shooting when we are training since duck season closed. I have been working with bumpers. Well today I threw the bumper and fired to make sure he was going to be steady on fire, he was. But he was looking for a duck. He did get the bumper but he was expecting a duck. He saw the bumper fall, and he scanned the skies for birds.
We will know more after saturday!
Sounds to me he's ready for a little FF.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.