RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been one that just has to have the pick of the litter. I try to do my homework and find the right breeding, pedigree and traits. Then its a crap shoot much of the time.
Just wondering how many National Champs and/or big time FC dogs were "pick of the litter." Anyone know of good dogs to discuss?
I just got a Chopper pup and was wondering if Chopper was "pick" also.
Paul

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Paul,

Do know a few FC's that were leftover pups. Do know of a few "picks that were total washouts and littermates that titled.

My personal motto for pick of litter is.... Better to have an average pup from a GREAT litter, than the great pup from an AVERAGE litter.

John
________
GM LT engine history

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The dog on my avatar FC- BUTCH'S DREAM CODE OF TCR was the last male pup taken out of my litter.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
1990, 1991, 1993 NFC - AFC
Candlewoods Tanks A Lot "Lottie" was the last pup in the litter. Pretty much throws the whole issue about "first pick" out the window doesn't it in a high calibre elite breeding.

http://working-retriever.com/retrpast/cwtanks.htm

·
Registered
301 Posts
IIRC Clint Joyner told me that both Girlie and Little Man were both left over pups out of their respective litters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Ranger (135.5AA Pts) and Cody (140.5 AA Pts) were left over after the other 9 pups had been picked -- go figure -- the last litter i whelped I kept the runt -- he should end up weighing 65 # and he is doing great at 7 months

Charlie

·
Registered
162 Posts

I think pick of the litter in the field realm is a worthless concept.

There is no way of knowing.

The key is picking the right litter to get a pup out of Not what pup to get out of the litter.

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
I think I read Corky was the last pup and much older also.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
i have always felt that if you like the dam and sire, look at all the available pups in the litter, and pick one out that you like,THAT'S the pick of the litter! :lol:

you never know until they are young adults whether you made a good choice or not.

i'm a softy and know it, so i work with what i've picked and go as far as we can together. they do their best work between 4 and 9 years in my experience, so unless you can predict the future, there are some unknowns....-paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pick of the litter

Drake Haven.

I was fortunate to get a Drake male pup out of an Ebonstar Jamie bitch litter. What a great dog at 17 months. HR & SR.

I wanted a male pup & he was the only male in the litter. (was he the pick?) :D

Anyway, what a great dog. "Drake Rules" :D :D :D

Bill McKee
Sunny Oaks kennel

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Waterfowl Retrievers said:
I have never been one that just has to have the pick of the litter. I try to do my homework and find the right breeding, pedigree and traits. Then its a crap shoot much of the time.
Just wondering how many National Champs and/or big time FC dogs were "pick of the litter." Anyone know of good dogs to discuss?
I just got a Chopper pup and was wondering if he was "pick" also.
Paul
Paul - you did get "pick of the litter." :D I never saw a group of puppies so evenly matched. The females were all big and sassy. All of the puppies followed me into the pond and started paddling at 7 weeks. They were all good swimmers. We divided the girls and boys up for the wing clipped pigeons. None of the puppies hesitated. It made picking a puppy very difficult.

I know your excited about your puppy. I am as well. With Chopper as a dad, and a bitch (Ford x Gotta) that was on the derby list in two blues adn QAA at 22 months, if she can produce half as well as her mother, Gotta, we will all be lucky people. :D Here's wishin' :D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
2006 NFC AFC Dr. Copper PHD was the last pup of the litter.

I had the pick of the yellow females from the litter and mine was a washout. :cry: She had a great attitude just didn't have the tallent.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey Vikki,

Sounds like the Auggie breeding suceeded this time. Very happy for you !

Steve

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
FC/AFC Kensbridge Darkly Handsome was the last pup from his litter. He wouldnt pick up a duck as a baby so he wasnt picked.
Nan Ruby took him, totally amateur trained him and he got his titles FC and AFC. Very nice dog-
Sadly,another one who was lost in his prime. I believe he was 8.... :cry:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Our junior hunter-Jake was a "left-over". He has turned out to be a pretty good duck and pheasant dog. We're still working on a couple of titles, but are very happy with him so far.

John

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: .

brian lewis said:
I think pick of the litter in the field realm is a worthless concept.

There is no way of knowing.

The key is picking the right litter to get a pup out of Not what pup to get out of the litter.

This makes the most sense of all the posts. FC/AFC Mioak's Criquet Pas who "owned me" until her death was a replacement for Golden Retriever that had some health issues. She was the last of the litter picked sight unseen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts