RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outside..........outside............middle. For L-R or R-L for around the horn tripples.

Why??

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Outside-outside-middle is a popular handling order but is by no means indicated for all triples, Terrain, distances, visability, direction of throws, tightness, wind along with the dog's "opinion" can all alter the order.
O-O-M does carry with it at least in theory that it helps to establish boundaries, by narrowing the field for the middle bird since most dogs have been well schooled in not returning to a previous area.
It can helpful but like most handling situations it is not an absolute!

Tim

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Outside-outside-middle is a popular handling order but is by no means indicated for all triples, Terrain, distances, visability, direction of throws, tightness, wind along with the dog's "opinion" can all alter the order.
O-O-M does carry with it at least in theory that it helps to establish boundaries, by narrowing the field for the middle bird since most dogs have been well schooled in not returning to a previous area.

Tim
So you don’t take the last bird down first?

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
My dogs take last bird down first. Unless I pull off the bird. When I have seen out of order marks the last bird is usually a flyer. I have seen mostly around the horn marks. Just my recollections.

·
Registered
720 Posts
dog on last bird, then the next shortest witch most of the time is the other outside.
Most of the time O-O-M
But dog may want O-M-O , if they key in on Mid after go bird I send I don't pull off to send to Outside. at least at a test.
may do it sometimes in training...

·
Registered
8,340 Posts

Tim
Very nicely worded!

Thank you Tim.
Outside..........outside............middle. For L-R or R-L for around the horn tripples.

Why??
Dorkweed, Are the responses accomplishing what you were seeking?

Do you want to share your thoughts on the topic?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I was taught next shortest bird. What if in OOM the bird after the go bird is an outside long bird? The middle bird being a short retired.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
What if in OOM the bird after the go bird is an outside long bird? The middle bird being a short retired.
If you pick up the long retired second there is a good chance you"ll watch your dog blow past the short middle bird and hunt deep until you pick up.

(Am I right?)

Reactions: Vance_kaz

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've noticed a tendency for most dogs to prefer outside, outside, middle, if left to choose themselves, like on a punch bird setup (long middle with two outside shorter birds) . In a test or trial situation I've heard lots of handlers say when asked why they went for a particular bird next they say because that's the one the dog wanted. Perhaps this influence is why the outside, outside, middle is standard choice of order practiced (although nothing is absolute of course) ?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We typically train, last bird down, then next shortest with the longest remaining being last on a triple. Lots of times on a quad, we take the go bird and work short to long in training unless it lends itself to more of a double double type set up. (basically you would benefit by taking two back to back, then the next two back to back) When splitting the quad into a double double situation, typically we train short to long.

In trial, typically we try the same. Work hard for a good initial look at the next shortest bird remaining. If your dog shows something else, your plans may have to change.

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
There are always exceptions, but, generally speaking, I train as Bubba does. That is the order would be: 1) Last bird down 2) Shortest remaining bird 3) Shortest remaining bird 4) Shortest remaining bird. I try to compete as I train.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks y'all. Why do dogs "naturally"?; on around the horn triples, tend to prefer OOM though??

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thanks y'all. Why do dogs "naturally"?; on around the horn triples, tend to prefer OOM though??
I think that’s more handler than dog.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I think that’s more handler than dog.
Now that I see where Dorkweed was coming from in his thread start, I can sure see his side of it. I think DW and DP are both right about this.

I ran hunt tests exclusively as a young man for a long time with a few dogs. I definitely felt that my dogs preferred the two outside marks, then the middle on triples unless the middle was the go bird.

I felt like it was my dogs, not me. But, guess who was training those dogs?....me. Hunt tests don't have long marks per the rules. So perhaps it was my exposure that I gave to the dogs that fostered my dogs having those preferences. I didn't train long with them.

Interesting stuff. The more I'm exposed to these dog games and these dogs, the more I realize I didn't know then, and I don't know now.

Chris

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You were not privy to the last two Grand tests that I judged...........................Had more than several handlers ask at the Grand last Fall if I'd ever judged a Qual before. Told them NO. They axed how I knew how to place marks in such a tight venue......................I told them by training my own dogs!!!!

Had many handlers compliment my/our test this past Spring for the same reason........................pasture, no cover....................mark placement is/was critical for this Grand test. Got many kudos in April.

Just asking guys about WHY this seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Why? Because many, many tests are set up in training and at trials where the longest bird is in the middle, and is the first bird down.
Long time frequent exposure to these types of triples result in the dogs being more comfortable picking up the marks in that order. -Paul

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Just being from 'over the pond' ..Is it not relevant that the dog get's sent to any bird/bumper in any order of a triple or quad or multiples ? just asking :unsure:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts