RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
The judges are not allowed to dictate the order of pick up of marks In AKC field trials or hunt tests. That is solely up to the handler and/or dog.
Blind retrieves are another matter. Judges may interrupt the marks with a blind retrieve. For example; pick up any mark or any 2 marks, run the blind, then pick up the remaining mark(s).-Paul

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you're competing while your training your not training. Some normal training requires you intentionally pass up a short bird as part of the drill. Picking up a short bird because you do it in a trial removes opportunities for corrections

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks y'all. Why do dogs "naturally"?; on around the horn triples, tend to prefer OOM though??
I'm thinking it's because they can keep it straight in their heads. Outside to Outside makes for bigger separation. Easier for the dog to manage the configuration?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The judges are not allowed to dictate the order of pick up of marks In AKC field trials or hunt tests. That is solely up to the handler and/or dog.
[/QUOTE
I never knew that . Thankyou.
Sure would 'Test' the marking and memory if they switched it about perhaps ..?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Might also be worth mentioning that when in comes to say an in-line triple (I know....no one trains them ) that it's been my experience that plenty of dogs still prefer to pick-up outside to outside, which in this particular setup makes digging out that middle bird considerably more difficult when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
many tests are set up in training and at trials where the longest bird is in the middle, and is the first bird down.
There are a lot of tests like that. There are also a lot of tests with a tough short retired bird in the middle. If you don’t train for that your dog will probably blow past it. Even if you do train for it, after picking up a long flyer then another long bird, your dog will probably still blow past it.
I nearly always want to get that short retired bird no matter where it’s at before sending for the long bird.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
You were not privy to the last two Grand tests that I judged...........................Had more than several handlers ask at the Grand last Fall if I'd ever judged a Qual before. Told them NO. They axed how I knew how to place marks in such a tight venue......................I told them by training my own dogs!!!!

Had many handlers compliment my/our test this past Spring for the same reason........................pasture, no cover....................mark placement is/was critical for this Grand test. Got many kudos in April.

Just asking guys about WHY this seems to be the norm.
Was this the norm when you put on your grand tests?

Did people ask if you did field trial judging because you put in some distance? Or were they all legal hunt test distances?

I think I get why you think it’s the norm. The fact that you train your own dogs probably makes you, me and drunkenpoacher all in agreement.

Thank you for giving your time to judge two grands.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Robert - regarding judges deciding on the order of marks picked up. Hardly ever happens (if ever?) in hrc events, even though it is allowed in the rules. I think most judges would never get asked back to judge and 'word would travel' pretty quick. It just is not 'kosher' - for a variety of reasons.

Selection can be 'forced' in other ways if the judges want to see how a dog/handler will deal with a certain situation. Example would be that they instruct handlers to pick up a blind after the first two marks have been retrieved. For me, I would generally pick up the mark that was closest to the blind, then pick up the blind, then the final mark.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts