RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have pick #3 of 4 males coming up in 6 weeks. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on picking a pup (in this case it will be an option of 2) was? what to look for? what not to look for? i am hoping that because there will only be 2 dogs when i pick i can make a better choice because it will allow more interaction than say if there were 6 left.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i have pick #3 of 4 males coming up in 6 weeks. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on picking a pup (in this case it will be an option of 2) was? what to look for? what not to look for? i am hoping that because there will only be 2 dogs when i pick i can make a better choice because it will allow more interaction than say if there were 6 left.
The breeder I am buying from takes multiple-daily journals of each individual pup. He then matches the "best" match for the pup and buyer as he can. This takes some of the guess out of the equation.

Not sure if that helps or not, but maybe the breeder can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The breeder is definetly the best resource depending on what you are planning on doing with the dog. otherwise the pup will pick you!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
If its your first dog don't get the crazy one. I like the crazy ones but my wifes always complaining. That dogs crazzzzzzyyy. Yeah but look at it go, fearless, and or crazy.:D

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Pick the one that poops right before you are going to leave. Less likely to poop on the trip home.

If you picked the right litter, you shouldn't worry much about picking the right pup. But if that doesn't work, tell the breeder about your goals and your experience and ask them to pick the pup for you.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My suggestion, either let the pup pick you OR ask the breeder what his/her recomendation would be and then pray like hell that its the right choice. Then have fun and enjoy the heck out of him!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
pick the black one!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Picking the litter is good and the first step. I think you can play with individual pups in that litter and see differences in them. I will agree that the breeder will have the most experience with them and would know who is bold and who isn't for instance.

I will admit that on a single visit it's very hard to tell. The one that is sluggish now is the one that was crazy a half hour before you got there.

If you only have to pick between two at least it will be easier.

I think what you do with the pup is equally important once you get home. You want him to think you're the greatest guy in the world. Put him in situations where things go well and he feels safe and comfortable.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rather have the last pick in a good litter than the first in a so so litter.
If it's your first dog may want to ask the breeder about personalities. Could end up with "too much dog" not doing the dog or you any good. DOE

On the other and we picked the guy sleeping in the back rather than who ran up to us and he is a ball of fire!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I asked the breeder to pick for me..

They had two of the pups in mind for me.

They didnt tell me which ones they had in mind, but rather let me play with the litter a bit..

I ended up making my decision,, it turned out to be one of the ones the breeder had chosen..

I thought I had her figgered out pretty well that day.. The next day,, She was a different pup..!!:razz:

I could not be more pleased with how things have turned out..:razz:

let your breeder pick, if they know you and what you want...

Gooser

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just grab one!!!!
Dave Hare

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I was lucky and my trainer had just the litter I was looking for. Actually I bugged him for about 2 years to breed one of his females to Grady. Well he finally did and when it came time to pick a pup I just asked him what he thought. He pointed out a pup that he almost kept for himself and said it was between that pup and the one he choose. I took the one he almost chose and haven't looked back. Let your breeder pick for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts