RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the derby 3rd series. Go bird is actually the spec of white at the end of this pond. Had to swim length of water then out up over road and over a ridge into some running water. You couldn't see your dog when he picked up bird. This is cyndi Gunzer picking up the memory bird

Here you can see left hand bird, bird is to the right of the tree directly in line with where the dog is swimming. As you an see you can't hardly see the long bird.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Derby 4th. U can see short gun flyer on right then long gun straight out between trees about 325. They had to run right thru the old scent from the 3rd series

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dog

Giving him a pep talk

Watching a dog running
Someone asked why I wasn't wearing white. I said its the derby. If I need white to handle I will just be saying No HERE

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Qual first series. I am standing pretty far right of line. To get the long middle retired gun that was thrown right to left they had to run thru old fall of left bird throw left to right almost.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Someone asked why I wasn't wearing white. I said its the derby. If I need white to handle I will just be saying No HERE
routine is what the helpful helper people were counseling you on Trevor.
dogs thrive on routine. When you come back to the truck, change your shirt, put your gloves on, get your running line lead out, and your dog is watching you like a Raven watching road kill on a busy black top road..........
That is time to go to work time. Might as well get um used to it if your gonna run an open down the road.

G

·
dogs thrive on routine. When you come back to the truck, change your shirt, put your gloves on, get your running line lead out, and your dog is watching you like a Raven watching road kill on a busy black top road..........
That is time to go to work time. Might as well get um used to it if your gonna run an open down the road.

Peanut flavored syrup? Yum.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

I would not cough it up to routine only, but if you do handle I wouldn't just automatically yell "no here" either. I would handle to the bird in most cases just like you would in training. I might blow the whistle, yell "NO" and handle, but I would not let the dog come in without the bird if I could help it, especially if cheating water was involved. I also have the bird boy help if the handling did not go smooth.

I have a dog who learned quickly at a trial if he just didn't feel like doing the water blind that I would pick him up, not anymore...until the judges say other wise I'm getting the chicken and making it training since I'm going home anyway!

Always go to the line prepared!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts