RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any pigeons around here from the breeders of racers and such, typically they have no problem giving you their cull birds, but apparently all of them in my area have promised out their birds.

I noticed that there is an abundance of birds near over passes around here, does anyone ever set out traps or try other tatics to catch this birds? If so, care to impart some words of wisdom.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
SGW,

Get yourself a landing net, a bright flashlight and after dark, scoop them right off the roost.
Barns are the best place to get them. The farmers don't mind either.

John
________
strawberry cough

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had a patient coming in for a while that raised racers. I asked him what he did with the culls, he asked why, I told him, you would have thought I was asking to date his 9 year old daughter(I dont think he has a daughter, just used that for effect ;) ) The guy was absolutely offended. He never came back.
I saw an article about him a few weeks ago in our local paper. He has bought an old house in an older part of town and is using it as a coop. The neighbors are complaining *gasp* I guess that instead of selling his pigeons to people that may kill them to eat or train dogs, he has decided to keep them and needed a bigger coop. :roll:

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Re: free birds

DRAKEHAVEN said:
SGW,

Get yourself a landing net, a bright flashlight and after dark, scoop them right off the roost.

John
That's what I do.....there are a few overpasses I'll hit, but they are ones in remote areas, not off freeways and the such - you can cause rubber neckers to freak out and call the police and then you can get a ticket for messing with the flow of traffic.

FOM

·
Registered
8 Posts
My parking garage at work is full of them, and the ceilings are relatively low so it should be fairly simple to snag them. I'm going to give it a shot...
I've also considered parking near where they roost with a trap in the back of my truck...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dip net with an extension pole and a headlight. Should be plenty under bridges and overpasses. Concrete ones, they don't like the steel structures as much. Go late late at night so as to not attract too many on-lookers and feel-gooders who are "concerned" about the pigeons.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with what the others said.

One of my best underpasses is a train track going beneath a big town main street. Consequently, you don't have to be watching for cars.

Big net. Enough aluminum extension poles to get you high enough. Duct tape them together if you have to. If I'm alone, I'll tape my maglite to the pole so I don't have to try to shine them, plus net them.

If the birds are resting on steel girders, raise the net on the opposite side of the girder then the birds are on. Then inch the net forward, touching it to the girder to steady the net. As soon as you know that the bird is centered on the net, you only have to come a few inches forward, and raise it up, and the bird will fly right into your net. Give the net a quick spin to trap the bird.

Good luck, and have fun

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
I catch pigeons pretty regularly around town. I built a trap out of wire and used aluminum welding rods for the one way door. Just make a rectangular structure out of the wire, (chicken wire or anything smaller will do). Mine is about 10 inches high by about 3 feet long. I put a rod over the door I cut out, and heated up the alumium welding rods to bend them over it to make them stay. I put spacers between them to make sure they stayed spread out. It was pretty simple to build. I drove around town and looked for pigeons. When I found a good spot, I stopped and asked the store owner closest to them if he would mind if I put a trap out next to his store. His responce was catch all you can. Most people around here hate them. Come to find out he had been complaining to the city about them for years and they would never do anything about it. He even offered to pay for the feed for the traps (I did not take him up on that). I usually catch between 6-12 at a time in the trap I have. PM me if you want to trap them and I will send you a pic of my trap for you to go off of. David

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
pigeon hunting

check retriever journal they had an article several years ago about trapping pigeons. car dealerships are also a good place to trap since they can really damage new car paint jobs. make sure you leave the wires up on the trap for atleast a week to let them get use to walking in and out of the trap. always leave one pigeon in the trap when you leave it. they dont call them flying rats for nothing, they are smart!! last, always were resperators with a hepa filter when trapping inside of buildings, you can get some nasty resparatory infections (bird flu) from breathing the air inside of these buildings. have fun and remember to not lick your fingersuntil you wash them good. :idea:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
We used to go in barns at night with about 3 or 4 guys at a time to get pigeons.1 or 2 would climb around up high in the rafters with flashlights and fishing nets and the guys on the ground would help with thier lights to shine on the birds while the rafter guys netted and put birds in burlap bags.Sometimes when a bird would try to escape by flying off you can shake the light on them to make a strobe effect and it causes them to get disorientated and flutter to the ground where the guys on the ground can get them with thier nets.When you're done,have a cold beer ready.Now I just try to buy them somewhere.If you find a source you might want to treat it the same as a good fishing spot.Don't tell too many people.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Here's a spotlighting variation I've heard for folks with places where they can limit available light sources, such as barns:

Rather than risk broken bones climbing to otherwise hard to reach places, place your primary light on the floor shining straight up and then bump birds from their roosts with a long pole, slingshot, thrown cobs or whatever one at a time. The disturbed birds should fly down to the light source and be easily netted.

I say "should," because, while the method came from "a reliable source," I've not tested it beyond the confides of a very large loft. Where the birds I experimented on did, in fact, flutter down to the light source.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So..... how much pigeon $hit do you want on your truck?
There's so many in the parking garage they already walk all over it and $hit on it... I'll probably put some plywood or something under the trap in the bed of my truck to make cleanup a little easier.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Re: free birds

FOM said:
DRAKEHAVEN said:
SGW,

John
That's what I do.....there are a few overpasses I'll hit, but they are ones in remote areas, not off freeways and the such - you can cause rubber neckers to freak out and call the police and then you can get a ticket for messing with the flow of traffic.

FOM

Car washes are a good source for night time pigeon netting as well.

Although this information is 20 years old...DON'T drink beer while netting birds on I 35 in the OKC area.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
An aluminum extension pole used for pool cleaning pole works good with an attached duck tapeed net.
Police used to stop us once in awhile to see what we were doing, but no big deal. Sometimes the human "residents" of the underpass would have a problem with it though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Best place the guys in my club ever found to catch pigeons was an old abandoned hotel in the downtown area. One of the guys called the bank who held the foreclosure note and one of the other guys was a local Police officer.

We would go in about an hour after sundown and go from room to room. We had a system - the first 2 guys would go straight in and "guard" the window (always broken out - that's how the birds got inside the building), the next person would go in and make an immediate turn into the bathroom (they loved to roost on the sink and shower rod) with the person following shutting the bathroom door.

Once the rooms were cleared out, we would look into the elevator shaft - but that part was scary - it was a LONG drop to the basement.

We averaged about 20 pigeons per night, with a max of 72 birds in one night. We'd hit the building about once every 3-4 days beginning a month before a test (back in the days when we could use pigeons).

I swear, it was like going back to my childhood days of catching crawdads in the ditch after a big rain. Hysterical fun.

G

·
achiro said:
I had a patient coming in for a while that raised racers. I asked him what he did with the culls, he asked why, I told him, you would have thought I was asking to date his 9 year old daughter(I dont think he has a daughter, just used that for effect ;) ) The guy was absolutely offended. He never came back.
I'm kind of shocked you're surprised at this. To this guy, his pigeons weren't the vermin that most of us view them as, they were pets. To him, it was likely pretty much the same as a fighting dog trainer asking if you had any puppys that weren't working out that he could use as bait dogs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lasso

Purchase some dental floss. Loop the end of the floss around and tie a noose, I put a small twig in the knot to keep it from getting too tight and I pull the twig out after tying the knot.

Create a noose about 3 inches in diameter and place it on the ground. Extend the floss out about 6 inches and prop a small stick under the floss so that it raises the floss about 2 inches off the ground. (this is done to give the noose slight lift when you pull from a distance) Then extend the floss so you stand about 10 feet from the noose.

Throw bread around the noose. Very quickly you will have plenty of birds and pretty quickly a bird will step in the noose, give a quick pull and whola, you have a pigeon kite. Reel her in.

It sounds crazy, but it works like a charm.

Warning... beware of the local elderly with wooden canes. They get a bit horrified when they see you catching their well fed friends.

·
Registered
606 Posts
do what i did when i was young, get a box, some string, a stick, breads crumbs,seed, put in under the box, prop up the box, with the stick and string.. pull when the birds are under the box,, got ya.. I used to catch many this way.. my parents really thought i was nuts.lol.maria

1 - 20 of 27 Posts