RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at work our maintenance department is having trouble with pigeons. got some nested up in the Equipment room, scaring people on scaffolding platforms by our A/C units etc so i convinced the head of maintenance to order a trap (on the company dime;)) and i'd trap em.

got it in and just wondering what is the double top secret bait yall use? trap says cracked corn or bird seed with corn. thought yall might have a little insight?

here's the trap we got

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KNESS-Pigeon-Cage-Trap-3KJH9

wasnt the one i wanted but it was free and more expensive

i cant wait to get rid of the 2 or 3 in the equiment room so i can move this show to the roof and have full traps everyday (work downtown in a 5 story building)

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
....got it in and just wondering what is the double top secret bait yall use? trap says cracked corn or bird seed with corn. thought yall might have a little insight?

here's the trap we got

nice trap,
sure fire must have bait????
for first few days prop doors open and just add corn
when they are gobbling that up and feel safe,
as well as your corn, put 1 live pigeon in the trap.
when you move to the roof do the same.
I call mine Judas.

·
Registered
370 Posts
at work our maintenance department is having trouble with pigeons. got some nested up in the Equipment room, scaring people on scaffolding platforms by our A/C units etc so i convinced the head of maintenance to order a trap (on the company dime;)) and i'd trap em.

got it in and just wondering what is the double top secret bait yall use? trap says cracked corn or bird seed with corn. thought yall might have a little insight?

here's the trap we got

wasnt the one i wanted but it was free and more expensive

i cant wait to get rid of the 2 or 3 in the equiment room so i can move this show to the roof and have full traps everyday (work downtown in a 5 story building)
What Ken said, but I used whole yellow corn, think Deer Corn.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
any poulty feed works well....the kind I call, "mixed nuts" they seem to really like. Has peas and all sorts of seeds and stuff.

Live pigeon is an absolute "must have" Also, of key importance....the live pigeon MUST be hungry. Don't feed your "bait" bird for about 2-3 days. (keep him watered, he'll be fine)He'll make enough noise and commotion eating in the trap to attract all the others. If he's just standing in there he won't bait them in as well. If you leave him in there with food and he's making noise eating and getting in the water dish, he'll bring them in. They are kind of like pirannahas when they feed. One gets excited and they'll freenzy to get the most food.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bad thing is i aint got a live dummy pigeon. its like what came first the pigeon or the trap. in my case the trap. tractor supply has chickens maybe a chicken can coax them in?

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Are there no bridges, overpasses or parking garages in Benton Arizona?
A good flashlight, a small box to hold birds, a fish net like you would net a bass with, and a six pack of bier. Combined with the aforementioned structures are all you need to get a Judas Bird + more. And the friendly fellers with the shopping carts and the boons farm breath. If you run into um under a bridge or overpass. Give um the box net light and six pack and tell um you will come back with a second six pack while they net some birds for you. POOF! You got fresh birds and new friends in one swell foop.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
buy one off Craiglist...gotta be a trainer around where you could buy one for $4 or so...buy two?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so for the two birds nested up in the maintenance room is it still necessary to leave door open for awhile? these are nusiance birds so they want them out quick. i can understand out in the open wanting to get the flock accustomed to the cage but what about just two?

also should i leave a trail of very few seed or a few piles to get them accustomed or just all in the cage

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
For the inside nuisance gone quick birds.
Decide were you are going to place the trap.
Place a small pile of bait in that spot.
As soon as the birds are on the bait put the cage in the spot with bait in it and small amount of bait near doors on outside.
As soon as birds are going into trap sweep up all bait outside of trap and set the doors and put bait and a Judas bird if you have one in the trap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had success just leaving the bobs open for a few days and getting the birds used to feeding (whole corn). Drop the bobs (even without Judas) and the birds I trapped just went in. As soon as the first bird goes through the bobs and starts to feed, you have your "Judas".

I recently trapped 108 birds off a roof top. I baited my trap and left bobs open for 1 day. Next day dropped the bobs, checked the trap a day later and had 44 in it. This is not typical of my trapping results and there was a huge population of pigeons there.

I have this trap: http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies....1&Product_Code=NWS53500&Category_Code=NWSBT00 Of course I had to pay for it. :)

I put a sheet of rigid plastic over the top of the trap and attach it with bungee cords so the birds have some shade. I also put small feeders and waterers in the trap (like these: http://www.tractorsupply.com/harris-farms-baby-chick-feeder-for-quart-jar-2106331 ) and check it often (every day at first or if it's hot). I placed the trap near a wall with enough room for them to walk behind the trap along the wall and then in through the bobs. I left a trail of corn leading into the opening.

Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
To get your Judas bird and make the maintainance guy happy cut off the lights in the room with the nesting birds and net as mentioned before. Just don't tell them you didn't need their trap!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To get your Judas bird and make the maintainance guy happy cut off the lights in the room with the nesting birds and net as mentioned before. Just don't tell them you didn't need their trap!
cant cut off the lights they stay on 24/7 as its the boiler/chiller room. cant net they are nested up in the pipework on the ceiling 15 foot off the ground. and plus there is the pipes running every which direction.

now outside on our loading dock i could probably net pretty easily. just got to to get a net. if i come back from the holiday and still no luck i'll try and catch one out there

whats the running price if i happen to do well and have a whole flock in short order? $2,$3,$4?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
he is in Arkansas? I am so sorry.
Well some stay and some leave but Sooooeee Pig land is not all bad, from the home state of William Jefferson Clinton, Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer, Cliff Lee, Sam Walton, John Grisham, Stevie Nicks, Alan Ladd, Scottie Pippen, Parnelli Jones, General Douglas MacArthur, Paul Bear Bryant, Helen Gurley Brown, Lou Brock, Johnnie Cash, and Glen Campbell just to name a few.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well some stay and some leave but Sooooeee Pig land is not all bad, from the home state of William Jefferson Clinton, Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer, Cliff Lee, Sam Walton, John Grisham, Stevie Nicks, Alan Ladd, Scottie Pippen, Parnelli Jones, General Douglas MacArthur, Paul Bear Bryant, Helen Gurley Brown, Lou Brock, Johnnie Cash, and Glen Campbell just to name a few.
dont forget huckabee. both clinton and huckabee are from my hometown of Hope, AR

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can go online and google "pigeons benton arizona." Find a breeder in the area. Give him a call. He's sure to have one he can do without.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts