RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who train with place boards, which DVDs and or books do you like most? Is there a program/method to follow that you like?

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is with a spaniel: Part 1 Part 2 There should be some clips of a woman doing a platform with a retriever in there somewhere, I've seen it before but I can't find it now.

Michele Pouliot has a DVD about platform training for Musical Freestyle. It is very, very good but needs adaptation for retrievers. It is clicker-based. Step up to Platform Training.

Dobbs has a series of articles on platforms:
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rjpart3.html
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rjpart4.html
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rjpart5.html

I think there's a lot of potential in platforms, specifically in teaching casting as in the Dobbs articles. I haven't played with it enough myself, platforms are heavy.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I use them. I find them a very good tool to teach concepts to young dogs, some of the things I have taught
going away
sit to whistle (also to square up a crooked sit)
simple casting
steadiness
remote sends

its easy and keeps a good attitude with the dog from what I have expierenced
dont know of any DVD but I know Dokken shows some in his book and so does the Dobbs in the Tri Tronics book
but I learned it from some of my club members

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Google Michele Pouliot. She has 25 plus years experience directing guide dogs for the blind training programs, training and winning obedience competitions and free style competitions. She has 2 DVDs on training several different skills with platforms. It's amazing how many skills you can teach your dog with this tool. And you can make them yourself out of light materials like industrial styro-foam insulation material covered in a towel with duct tape.

I have used her methods to teach my two retrievers the two-sided heel positions, stay with lots of distance and me disappearing from sight, steady while birds are thrown and to teach returning to heel after a retrieve for my young puppy. In the near future, I will be using them to teach handling to my 5 month old pup.

Her methods are easy to understand and fun for the dog. I've used them on several of my client dogs for basic obedience work. Obviously, you get to the point in training where you remove the platform and proof the dog.

Jennifer

·
Registered
285 Posts
Jennifer - what do you use for platforms? I found a foam aerobics step at Goodwill once, but it was juuuuust too short for my dog to stand comfortably.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I don't use place boards anymore but when I did this is what I used. 3' X 4' plywood on 2"x4" turned on edge and then carpet over all.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts

Dobbs has a series of articles on platforms:
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rjpart3.html
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rjpart4.html
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rjpart5.html

I think there's a lot of potential in platforms, specifically in teaching casting as in the Dobbs articles. I haven't played with it enough myself, platforms are heavy.
we learned the use of place boards from Jim Dobbs quite a few years ago,its a very valuable asset to have in the teaching repetoire...we made our boards and attached a rope handle on each to carry them around..have used them in the garage in the winter (Idaho) when it was too cold/snowy to train young pups..Kate and Brig liked them and were good pupils on them

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I use the platforms for all my basic training, from sit to remote casting, I have forund out that for the young dogs the boards act as a visual and I do not have to give them as many corrections, witch leads to more speed and confidence. I do remove the boards for the advance training. I learned from Dobbs, you can go to his site and get what you need to start, including the boards.
Keith

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Jennifer - what do you use for platforms? I found a foam aerobics step at Goodwill once, but it was juuuuust too short for my dog to stand comfortably.

I went to Home Depot and bought a 4' by 8' sheet of insulation styro-foam that that is 2.5" thick. I measured my dogs by having them stand on all fours on the driveway and drew a rectangle about 2" out from where their feet stood, to give them a little extra room. Then I cut the foam into the rectangles and stacked two together to make it 5" tall. I happened to have had some old thin pond liner rubber sheeting, so I cut that and wrapped the foam in it with duct tape. But I've also used an old towel to wrap the foam in and secured it with duct tape and it works just as well. It's durable, has traction and is light weight.

Michele Pouliot says to make the platforms the correct size for your dog in order to help teach proper form. In other words, a good square sit or stand when at heel or when teaching the whistle sit. The one Wayne Nutt shows would be too big if you're using them for teaching proper form.

Jennifer

·
Registered
877 Posts
All Good Dawgs!

I made mine from 1x4s with 3/8" plywood top and glued down IO carpet, has a rope handle, nice and light wt. Painted the outside edges white. easy target. (see the difference from my lab, far right and my golden 2nd in from rt) just remember to pull the rope in when your using them. 18" x 24 outside measurment is what I did

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have two differant sizes, one for the Retrievers and Spaniels ( 18" x 24"). For the Pointers (18" X 36") because they have to stand. All are made out of 2" X 2", plywood and carpet.
Keith

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use plastic pizza dough boxes with a piece of carpet glued to the top. Made of white plastic they aren't heavy and are stackable. The white sides make them easy for the dog to find. Especially when in the learning phase. I love them. Took my dog out tonight and was able to float it with me across the water to set it up. No wet wood if doing water work. Cheapest I've seen them is $14 each on one of the restaurant supply stores. Size is 16"x24" perfect for retrievers.
That's my golden in the above pic sitting on his. He's the first little guy!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That's my golden in the above pic sitting on his. He's the first little guy![/QUOTE]

He's very handsome, Julie!! What is his pedigree? You can PM me if you think this is too off topic.

Jennifer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nothing to send you. Jack is a rescue. Probably about 1 or 2 years old. I adopted him a year ago. I have another rescue golden that was a maniac when I got her and terribly underweight. I worked really hard with her and got her Started and Junior titles on her. The rescue called last spring and asked me to take him. Said he was a busy boy and needed a job or he would most definitely get himself in some trouble. He was with a behaviourist for a few months before I took him. He has come a long long way in the last year. Two weeks ago he got his JH and has two passes for Started. Hope to finish that up in Sandusky in August. But he is a cool little man and so much potential. Loves the game and loves to GO! I'm so happy and lucky to have him!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I use a black matt I purchased at Walmart for under $5 to send my dog back to after throwing a mark. He runs readily to the "place" on command. It works great when training alone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tom Dokkens in his book "Retriever Training The complete guide..." uses place boards that are circles of plywood attached to rubber tires.
I made some place boards from 2X4's on their side with plywood on top and then a rubber mat. You can make them any size you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts