RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Please share your input on Rex Book

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in the opinions of fellow/fellowette RTF'ers regarding which way to go with this Rex project. Please let me know what you would like to see. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I would like a book about Rex that includes an comprehensive overview of his training philosophy and techniques. An indepth training book, or workbook should be separate.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't want to complicate things or mess up your poll, but...
How about a book on his training program and his philosophy as it applies with a workbook.
A book on his life and backround separate.

I look forward to reading it however you write it, it's a massive undertaking. Thank you in advance. :)

--Lisa

·
Registered
100 Posts
Vickie, I voted option #2, just because I'm not a workbook note taking type person. But maybe I should be.

I'm just glad that perhaps, once and for all, Ted's question of
Would someone please explain what the basic, fundamental elements are of the Carr method?
will be answered. Putting an end to all speculation, misconceptions, rumor, and false claims. Thank you for your effort, and the best of luck with it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I voted for 3. I think it would be important to get an idea of Rex and how his philosophies helped him to arrive at his training ideas.

And I am a workbook kind of person - I know you can't train every dog identically(the big "it depends" fits in here) but I like the idea of a workbook.

Andy

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I voted for No. 2 so you could get it done faster Vickie :D but 3 or 4 sound good also. Wondering if it would flow well, to do sort of like the Dahls did with their book, a training book with parallel chapters about him, his life and the dogs he trained?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Vickie-
I really don't know a thing about Rex Carr, but I love biographies-the life events that lead up to "Why" he chose to dedicate his life to training dogs. I'd love to know if there was a dog in his childhood that was the catalyst & how he felt about his own dogs all through his life.

I've never read a manual or watched training videos, but I'd read one if it was incorporated into this book.
M

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Re: #4

Keith Stroyan said:
I voted for #4. First, you should write a book about Rex and his "philosophy." I think there's a "market" for it and you clearly have a passion for it. He touched the lives of a generation or more of retriever people.

Ditto. Break it down into 3 parts so you can go in stages. That will also allow you to bring any late info you receive into the book from other people that went to Rex's.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Vickie,

Anyway it comes together the most enjoyable for you, will be the most noticed in the reading.

My interest would be the history and philoshophy of the man. As I understand what that was, I seriously doubt a training manual is what any of us expect. Like Ed stated earlier, we aren't going to be able to use his complexities...those were a gift that can't be passed on. But getting to know the Main Man better, is what I'd be looking for. And I thank you in advance for compiling all those great memories.

UB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Vickie,
Thank you in advanced for anything you publish on Rex, be it all of the above you mentioned or only one. I WANT ONE OF EACH!!!!!!!!!!!! Eatin up all the knowledge I can get, and wanting more. Put me first on the list , PLEASE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Vickie,

Being new to the game it is difficult to jump in with a training book (video, workbook, ect..) without having an understanding of the person(s). It would help me tremendously to be able to first understand about the individual and their mindset then flow into the details of training.

I would and did vote for a book on Rex Carr and his philosophy then a book devoted to his training. It would make it better for me at least to understand the training methods.

My 2 cents hope it helps.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Vicki -

I'd like the two book option.

Sometimes I get tired of reading theory and want to just read about the person.

Any truth to the rumor you are flying to Texas when you are done with you work on Mr. Carr and going to ghost write either Honcho Part II or the book on Ed and Judy? Just checking...ya' know....

Highest regards, deepest respect, and I'd like a signed first edition of whatever you decide...

Joe S.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much to everyone who has responded to this poll so far and to each of you that has posted some suggestions and/or thoughts. Each of your opinions and votes means a great deal to me as this has become a huge project and it seemed time to get some real feedback from you.

Please continue to let me know and again, I appreciate it. :idea: :idea: :idea:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Joe, poor innocent Joe,

VickieLamb is coming to Texas to document our trysts. We will have to redo them all for publishing purposes and I'm not sure I'm up to it now, but will try my best. She's assured me that editing will take care of the retakes. BRAVO for retakes!!!

Tentative title is "VickieLamb and a Dead Sucker". Sort of catchy, don't ya think? And it's only two pages long, counting the Table of Contents.

Jerry

·
Registered
942 Posts
Jerry said:
Joe, poor innocent Joe,

VickieLamb is coming to Texas to document our trysts. We will have to redo them all for publishing purposes and I'm not sure I'm up to it now, but will try my best. She's assured me that editing will take care of the retakes. BRAVO for retakes!!!

Tentative title is "VickieLamb and a Dead Sucker". Sort of catchy, don't ya think? And it's only two pages long, counting the Table of Contents.

Jerry
WELL NOW...and this just in from the "Too Much Information Department..." :roll:

Could have done without THAT mental picture this morning, Jerry... :wink:

Regards,

Joe S.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Vickie,

While I hoist my chest waders to their maximum height (see Jerry's post above! :shock: ), it's difficult to type! But, I voted for number 3.

I can't imagine such a tribute not including a bio of Rex, the man - the animal lover and student of life.

You would be the last one I would need to inform that presenting a workbook accurately will require an extensive explanation of his philosophy because he was so fluid in his application. But, perhaps it would be enlightening to offer an explanation of his step-by-step basics, along with his perspective on how that system came into being.

Further information of his work would best be a combination of techniques, and some real life examples of how decisions were made for developing one well known dog in contrast with anohter well known dog...something like that. Perhaps Soupy and Penrod, or one of the other siblings, just to provide a better look into what drove his decision making, as well as the creation of certain drills and exercises.

It's early. Is any of this making sense? :oops:

Evan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, making sense!

Workbook, no workbook, one book or two...these are the questions... :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I votes option #3.

I rather like the idea of lifting the veil around Rex's training philosophy. No "training only" book would do that, I think. There was a whole lot of "why" involved with Rex's approach to training.

A workbook with well-diagrammed drills, etc. would be an excellent accompaniment, and would keep the size of both parts within reason. Slim, portable workbook you can take into the field, heftier book giving the philosophy and decision-making processes the detail they require.

Best of both worlds, I'd buy a set!

Lisa

·
Registered
93 Posts
I voted for #2, but would be interested in the things Evan described. I personally don't thing a workbook is necessary, but there would need to be enough information about his training program to put the history and philosophy into proper perspective.

There are some really good training programs out there based on Rex's methodology. Is another workbook or training manual spefically on his program going to augment that? It seems to me that it wouldn't. If it would, then include it.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts