RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that there are number pointing lab breeders and titles that can be associated with pointing labs. My questions is, is this truly a trait that is passed along in breeding, or is pointing something that is trained as the results of being put on top of many many birds in training exercises?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Dooooooooood,

This time of year them topwater baits don't work that good sometimes.

Prolly gonna need to add a worm and maybe some WD-40 regards

Bubba

·
Registered
966 Posts
No doubt in my mind it is breeding. I aint smart enough to train it.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I purchased a pointing lab back in October 2011, I just wanted a lab for my husband and I to take hunting so didn't care if she was a pointing lab or not. My husband dove hunts and I'm going to start duck hunting this next season. I haven't worked with her at all on pointing as i just needed a dog that would retrieve for me. We were at the lake a couple months back and came up on a field with a pony in it. She did a perfect point and held it for at lease ten seconds. I got my husbands attention and said check that out and started laughing. She did it naturally, I went home and looked up some of the dogs in her akc history and she has a good pointing line with all different titles. So yes I think they do it naturally, but need the training to do it everytime and anytime you what them to do it. She pointed my cat the other day, lol.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It is very much genetic, most labs just want to run up and retrieve birds in the field, pointing labs still do that sometimes if they are not trained to a steady point but most pointing labs have a natural point that can be stiffened up.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I can guarantee that it's genetic. Here is an 11 wk old in a pet home who is apparently pointing regularly in the backyard. Her great great grandma had a very stylish point and it occasionally still pops up. Behind grams (all field) WAY back was a Kellogg breeding and I assume that's where it came from. This pup is pretty much all show breeding now (~15/16 show).

·
Registered
227 Posts
As for the pointing the pony, any dog will halt at times mid stride if they see something. However, yes it is a trait in certain labs. Some labs from my breeding will " flash point" or turn quickly when they get birdy, but they dont have any Pointing blood in them to my knowledge

·
Registered
966 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I understand that there are number pointing lab breeders and titles that can be associated with pointing labs. My questions is, is this truly a trait that is passed along in breeding, or is pointing something that is trained as the results of being put on top of many many birds in training exercises?

Thanks
This is passed down from one or both parents, I know a couple Pointing labs (PL) in my area that the sire was the PL and the dam was not. Those pups are pointing. I have 2, the one in my Avatar is the pup at 5 months and he is going to his first APLA hunt test in 2 weeks and runing for his Certified Pointing Retriever title, my older one has worked up through the ranks and is a 2.5X GMPR (Grand Master Pointing Retriever)

Besides genetic, it also takes birds and a bunch of them just as in retriever training.

So what why do you ask? are you looking at a PL pup?

Kevin, Glad to see you have at least 1 black dog to help train those yellow ones;)
All kidding aside, I enjoy watching your videos.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a male that points. I have discouraged it because I was wanting a Grand title and he needs to " actively participate in the flush " I thought we were going to get dropped in his title run because he didnt want to come off point.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a male that points. I have discouraged it because I was wanting a Grand title and he needs to " actively participate in the flush " I thought we were going to get dropped in his title run because he didnt want to come off point.
To me that's kind of a nice problem to have Tim! :D Granted, I can't imagine the pucker factor at that moment.

·
Registered
966 Posts
This is passed down from one or both parents, I know a couple Pointing labs (PL) in my area that the sire was the PL and the dam was not. Those pups are pointing. I have 2, the one in my Avatar is the pup at 5 months and he is going to his first APLA hunt test in 2 weeks and runing for his Certified Pointing Retriever title, my older one has worked up through the ranks and is a 2.5X GMPR (Grand Master Pointing Retriever)

Besides genetic, it also takes birds and a bunch of them just as in retriever training.

So what why do you ask? are you looking at a PL pup?

Kevin, Glad to see you have at least 1 black dog to help train those yellow ones;)
All kidding aside, I enjoy watching your videos.
I do have a little Chocolate male coming up out of her! Does that count? :) Yep i have gone down to the yellers!!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts