RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted little however I enjoy reading RTF. I am training my first HT dog and have found great enjoyment and frustration. I believe most of the frustration is because I did not ask for help and am trying to limit any more frustration for Misty a three year old Chessie and I. I am hoping to complete my final AKC Senior test this weekend and need one more Senior pass in NAHRA to complete her MHR.

I would like to continiue on to AKC Master and would like advice on training for the "Poison Bird". I am in an area of North Central Iowa with minimal active club member training. I have found great help at NAHRA and AKC hunt test. I do not currently have an experienced mentor.

Thanks in advance for your help. Wishing each of you great success.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I start with blind drills, then pattern blinds with diversions as described in Lardy's TRT.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Where are you located? There is a very good club, Southern Minnesota Hunting Retriever Association, that has training get-togethers in Blooming Prairie (Old Oak Kennel) and also near Waseca. MN. The Blooming Prairie location might be near you. The club has an AKC Hunting Test at Old Oak this weekend. If you have time, come and meet a few people. It is a very active club and lots of good people. Look on entryexpress.net for location, times and directions.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Steve,

Graham's Four Phase drill is a great drill to build to that.....

go through the four phases picking the bird up then running the blind, when proficient, repeat the first three phases running the pattern blind?established pile first.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
It is easier to teach the poison bird expectation to a responsive dog. A dog that enjoys working with you is a huge plus. If you watch Pat Nolan's video that he post a few weeks ago, this is the type of training that enhances other areas of training (i.e. poison bird).

Pat Nolan's YouTube (link)

If you "Google" four phase drills and definitive casting drills these two variations of diversion training worked really well for my four dogs.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
4 phase and then to KRD--it is a very detailed approach. I've done it and I feel confident that anyone can. The dogs like these drills as well.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Here, just so I've contributed to this thread.

Diversion Training.

This drill works well using either your T field or Pattern field. In essence you want an established known pile so the dog knows where he is going. This is a 3 stage process.

Put out a chair and thrower, I start with no holding blind but just the person and the chair. Handle and use attrition. Do not use the e-collar around the gun station. We want the dog to get comfortable going past the station.

1.Run the blind past the gun station. If the dog flares, stop and handle. Keep the dog on line.
2.Have the station throw the bird, pickup the bird and run the blind.
3.Have the station throw the bird, run the blind then pickup the bird.

1.Run the blind past the gun station. If the dog flares, stop and handle. Keep the dog on line.
3.Have the station throw the bird, run the blind then pickup the bird.

3.I don’t do the “poison bird” on this one with a young dog.

• Repeat #1 again, only this time a fourth step of having the bird thrown as the dog returns from the blind.
  • Once the dog has this down, repeat #2 only this time throw the bird as the dog is coming back from the blind.
This is the basic format. It gives you a controlled teaching environment and teaches the basic concepts. You can then add multiple gun stations. For example sometimes I’ll put another gun station blind on the other side of the line to create a channel for the dog to run between. You can get real creative once you have the basics down.

/Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts