RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ladies--What breed of retreiver do you own or train?

• Golden Retriever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chesapeake Bay Retriever

• Other please list the breed that you own or train

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know which breed of retriever all the different women on RTF own or train. And why you selected that breed.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I grew up with goldens but just always liked Chessies. Got my first over 20 years ago right out of college. I love all the retriever breeds but there's just something about the nappy brown ones. Fairly new to the dog games but I started hunting years ago because of the dogs. Even though I only do HT, I'd like to at least try FT one day, even if only the Q. I know I'd have a much better chance of success in that game with a Lab, but it's the journey for me, not the end result. My two Chessies I have now are the descendents of the original first Chessy I got so that is satisfying too.

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
dogs

Most women get into those erotic, huh, I mean exotic retriever breeds. Must be a chick thang!

There is something about a big burley male handler walking to the line with a Golden. Just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Breeds

I have always owned Chocolate labradors. Can't see me getting anything else.

Janet

·
Registered
218 Posts
female black labrador retriever

Our first labrador, 26 years ago, was one of those "neighbor's female + stranger in the night" pets. When she died and we were looking for a real hunting dog replacement, we happened upon a field trial breeding and the rest was history.

We've always had black labs, although the next one might be yellow.

We've had 3 females and 2 males, and prefer the females.

Debbie

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I grew up with a bassett/beagle cross...dumbest dog that ever walked the earth. When I was about 12, a black lab strayed into our yard. I told the dog to sit and it did. I told it to shake and it did. The owners of that dog came to get him and I begged and begged my Dad for a lab. He never would allow it. When I met my husband for the first time, he told me he really liked labrador retrievers. I knew then that he was the one. We have 5 labs now. One black and 4 yellow.

M

·
0 Posts
Choice of Breeds

I got my Golden (my first dog ever) because it was the only breed I saw at the dog park that wasn't going to bite another dog. Thank goodness there were no Labs there because I might have ended up with one of "them." :wink:

She ended up being an AKC Master Hunter and NAHRA MHR with advanced obedience & agility titles as well. I have two bitches out of her running field trials, both qualified all-age. One just won a 52-dog Qual and one has multiple Open JAMs at 3 years old. So I suppose I have beaten the odds.

Tracy...a fellow once asked me, did you buy your dogs to match your hair or did you dye your hair to match your dogs? Darn, where is that "tossing your hair around" emoticon when you need it?!

Melanie

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
When I was in college I was looking for a dog of my own - had grown up with dogs but they had been family dogs. I thought that I wanted an English setter but was having a hard time finding any puppies. I came home from school one weekend and my dad said he knew somebody that had a nice litter of labs. For 2 days I kept telling him I didn't want a lab. But right before I headed back to school I agreed to go look at the lab puppies. My moms last words as I headed out the door were "You know if you go look at these puppies you're going to come home with one" Well, mom was right!! They were a field/show cross and I came home with a black female. She was just a pet but she got me hooked on the breed forever. That was "Woofy" (yes she was vocal!). After her came Berry, Molly, Lucy,(all now deceased). I currently have Briezy and her daughter Jaxxy and son Graham - my first male. But they have all been black and I don't forsee me ever changing colors!!!

Andy

·
Registered
942 Posts
Re: dogs

Mr Booty said:
There is something about a big burley male handler walking to the line with a Golden. Just doesn't look right.
With the right set of initials in front of the Goldens name, I can think of one big burley male handler that wouldn't give a fat rats a$$ about how it "looked." :wink:

Regards,

Big Burley Male Handler

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Edit- This WAS long winded!!
I have 2 old Goldens.
Somebody (Evan maybe?) said a dog doesn't know it's pedigree-a good dog is a good dog. I'm color blind when it comes to dogs. I like 'em all-Labs, Chessies, Goldens, Flatcoats, etc.
M

·
Administrator
3,826 Posts
I'll admit it......I'm prejudiced :)

I own 8 Labs.....7 are black and we have our "token" Dirt Dog (chocolate).

I love the black labs.....I admit it :) Never saw myself owning another color until Nick Michelson passed away and left my chocolate to me (What an honor)

After having trained many Goldens, Chessies, Boykins & Tollers, I plan to stick to "my breed" :) hehehehe There's just too much grooming involved with the Goldens, Boykins & Tollers for me.

Vicky

·
Registered
409 Posts
Curly-Coated Retriever

I train a Curly-Coated Retriever. He recently earned his AKC Senior Hunter Title. Working on Master Hunter and HRCH. 8)

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I got my first dog for my ex husband for hunting over 25 years ago and I ended up with the dogs (in a reluctant plea by my attorney). I had researched and got a Chocolate out of a dog with aa points and a hunting dog. Then I met Mary Howley who directed me to my foundation bitch who ultimately was with Jim Van Engen and Mike Lardy. I was hooked on trials but I had children to raise. Many people know me for Chocolates, but I started competing a black a few years ago and now color is irrelevant. I have a new black puppy in my litter that is 4 weeks old and also have a Viking daughter that is starting training but I definately have a preference for the boys and don't like to compete bitches unless I got a real good one that doesn't develop PMS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Choice of Breeds

Patrick Johndrow said:
Match your hair? When did you get a silver lab? :roll:
HEY NOW!!! Not even close, mister! :twisted:

Melanie Foster said:
Tracy...a fellow once asked me, did you buy your dogs to match your hair or did you dye your hair to match your dogs? Darn, where is that "tossing your hair around" emoticon when you need it?!

Melanie
That's definitely what we need, Melanie!! Someone make us a new emoticon!!!
My dog and I often referred to as the "two redheads" ... ummm, make that "the two GOOFY redheads"! :silly:
And darn good thing I just brought the little guy home... was looking a little too closely at that upcoming litter of yours!!! :D

Tracy

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Re: dogs

Joe S. said:
Mr Booty said:
With the right set of initials in front of the Goldens name, I can think of one big burley male handler that wouldn't give a fat rats a$$ about how it "looked." :wink:

Regards,

Big Burley Male Handler
Make that two Joe :)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Tracy's on to something!! Anyone looking for a nice (read competitive!!)Golden should look at Melanie's upcoming litters!! If I wasn't buying my vet a new wing for her practice with the $ I'm spending on 2 geriatrics I'd scoop! :roll:
M

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I won't make my "story" tooo long winded.

Started out with goldens as a kid. And you know you always have what you had when you were a kid. Needless to say Between all the health problems and working 3 times as hard as anyone else training the darn things, it was suggested to me by a top pro to get a "feel good" dog. What????, Who Me???? a common, black labrador? Never!!!!, I like being different! Well different in dog training has it's price.

I took his advice after my last golden had epilepsy. That was 16 years ago. Once you go black you never go back!! :wink: :wink:

I love training them all,, but as my personal dogs, I love my garden variety black labrador, male or female.

Angie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts