RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What should become of http://www.texasretrievers.org/ ?

• Continue as it always has

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Continue, but drop the calender (point to EE)

• Drop the website entirely

• Some other option I haven't thought of

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, intended for the Texas folks:

Now that Entry Express can handle HRC events (and as far as I can tell, every HRC club in Texas is planning on using them as soon as possible), has TexasRetrievers.org become obsolete?

I started the http://www.texasretrievers.org website back in the early 1990's mostly as a result of a meeting several of the club representatives had. The goal of the meeting was to form a state-wide organization whereby the retriever clubs in the state (TX) could work co-operatively. One of the objectives that came out of the meeting was to put together a website so folks could have a single place of information for Tests, Trials, club contacts, etc.

It turned out that the overall organization never got off the ground, but I went ahead and created the website on my own, mostly because I believed that the reasons behind it were good.

Up until the last year or so, it served pretty much the purpose for which it was designed. However, over time, it has become increasingly difficult to get club contact persons to get me information in a timely manner to keep it up to date. And since EE is now accepting HRC events, a byproduct of that is that they have a calendar of events.

So, I'm asking the question: should I discontinue the texasretrievers.org website (or perhaps, keep the site, but discontinue just the calendar)?

Note, that a part of me will feel some regret in letting it go, but I know that all things must come to an end sooner or later. And for websites, the lifespan is probably shorter than for other things.

G

·
Come up with something else to do with it... And maybe just do a calendar that links to each EE event. Make it a central location for your giant state... So newbies can get info. I'm always surprised at the number of folks that come on here and ask for "texas trainers" so it's obviously a need. Charge some trainers a few bucks a month to put some ads up... If it gets some decent traffic.

-K

G

·
I've been waiting (impatiently) for your 2007 calendar to be posted. I find it convenient and helpful. Yes, I can go elsewhere for the information, but going to your site is sometimes easier. Perhaps Shane will jump in here and set me straight, but I doubt all Texas HRC clubs will get EE set-up in time for the spring season. When all HRC clubs are using EE, your calendar can link to EE's calendar.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kristie Wilder said:
Come up with something else to do with it... And maybe just do a calendar that links to each EE event. Make it a central location for your giant state... So newbies can get info. I'm always surprised at the number of folks that come on here and ask for "texas trainers" so it's obviously a need. Charge some trainers a few bucks a month to put some ads up... If it gets some decent traffic.

I thought about charging for the pro listing, but I wanted to be able to keep it purely non-partisan. No favorites for any pro. Taking money would make that.... um, difficult. 8)

JamesW said:
I've been waiting (impatiently) for your 2007 calendar to be posted. I find it convenient and helpful. Yes, I can go elsewhere for the information, but going to your site is sometimes easier. Perhaps Shane will jump in here and set me straight, but I doubt all Texas HRC clubs will get EE set-up in time for the spring season. When all HRC clubs are using EE, your calendar can link to EE's calendar.
That's a good point. I guess I really need Shayne to weigh in here and let me know what kind of response there has been from HRC clubs here in Texas.

Shayne:
Bcsrc (my club) I am nearly certain will use you.
Raven's Way?
Colorado River?
Tejas?
Deep East Texas?
Cowtown?
Big D (not until the fall)?
Alamo?
Heart of Texas?

G

·
CNBarnes said:
Kristie Wilder said:

I thought about charging for the pro listing, but I wanted to be able to keep it purely non-partisan. No favorites for any pro. Taking money would make that.... um, difficult. 8)

JamesW said:
That's a good point. I guess I really need Shayne to weigh in here and let me know what kind of response there has been from HRC clubs here in Texas.

Shayne:
Bcsrc (my club) I am nearly certain will use you.
Raven's Way?
Colorado River?
Tejas?
Deep East Texas?
Cowtown?
Big D (not until the fall)?
Alamo?
Heart of Texas?
How does offering advertising make you partisan to the people who are paying for it? That's like saying WRC is partisan... But that's what their advertisers are paying for? It's a win-win situation...

-K

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kristie Wilder said:
How does offering advertising make you partisan to the people who are paying for it? That's like saying WRC is partisan... But that's what their advertisers are paying for? It's a win-win situation...

Honestly, they ARE being partisan. Only paid advertisers can include a weblink in puppy ads. Note that I'm not critizing them, it's their site and they can make whatever rules they want.

But did you even read the text at the top of the pros page? It expressly states that the page is there as a service to the people in the state that might be looking for a professional trainer.

My ethics tell me that if I take money from a pro, then they have a right to ask to have their ad appear in a more prominent location on the page. That is not something that is consistent with the stated goal of that page.

Now - back to the purpose of this topic - the calendar.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Brother Chris. I know everyone appreciate's your effort on TR.org. I used to use it myself.

Couple thoughts... it will be awhile before we have all the HRC events in Texas, maybe a year? Maybe never? I'm not sure.

That being said... the thing that has always concerned me about your site is the responsibility your taking on by providing event information to people. All it takes is someone to email you bad info or a typo on your part or the part of the club and it could affect a lot of people. Granted your not liable, but still its a lot of weight on your shoulders when you know people are planning vacations, etc... around data your typing on a site. There would have to be some money in it for you, in my opinion.

It's a great domain name, hopefully it will still be around.

SM

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shayne Mehringer said:
Brother Chris. I know everyone appreciate's your effort on TR.org. I used to use it myself.
Thanks!

8)

Couple thoughts... it will be awhile before we have all the HRC events in Texas, maybe a year? Maybe never? I'm not sure.
Ok, to me that settles the issue. I'll keep it for at least another year. Time to go create the 2007 calendar now....

That being said... the thing that has always concerned me about your site is the responsibility your taking on by providing event information to people. All it takes is someone to email you bad info or a typo on your part or the part of the club and it could affect a lot of people. Granted your not liable, but still its a lot of weight on your shoulders when you know people are planning vacations, etc... around data your typing on a site. There would have to be some money in it for you, in my opinion.

Well, I've never been one to worry about liability issues. SO FAR, that hasn't gotten me into trouble! :lol:

But seriously, getting good information to keep the site current has always been a problem. The scheduling of AKC tests aren't too much of a problem (since they are almost always on the same weekend), but the way the HRC doesn't have a "set weekend" (per the scheduling lady at the UKC) and the way the do the "weekend of the year" (which doesn't match up with the AKC's), those have always been problematic.

And even if I have the right weekend, having the correct contact person (HT Sec) which changes every single year is a problem.

I have thought about trying to put together a web-based forum where people could put in their information and the data would be put into a MySql database, and then the calendar automatically generated.

Perhaps what I'll do is have the calendar list, but rather than link to a page for the contact information, I'll have it link to the AKC/HRC/whatever site directly? That would certainly cut down on the amount of "upkeep" information I have to track.

Yeah, I think I like that idea....

Thanks Shayne (for letting me think out loud). :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts