RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Will high gas prices negatively impact the number of HTs and/or FTs you attend a year?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas prices are back over $2 a gallon. Experts are saying we had better get used to it -- $2 a gallon is going to be the low price, and $3 a gallon may become more the norm. And even then, that is still a lower price than they are paying in Europe.

Will high gas prices negatively impact the number of HTs and/or FTs you attend a year?

·
Registered
942 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
Gas prices are back over $2 a gallon. Experts are saying we had better get used to it -- $2 a gallon is going to be the low price, and $3 a gallon may become more the norm. And even then, that is still a lower price than they are paying in Europe.

Kevin -

STOP pushing the poll!!! :wink:

Filling Up The Tank Regards,

Joe S.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It will certainly have a negative impact with me. Back in the "lines around the block" days, it drove me out completely. I didn't want to travel to a trial and then have to "hope" I could find gas to get back home.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hunt'em Up said:
I can see it affecting HTs more than FTs. 8) 8)
I agree.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We were discussing whether or not to drag our 4 dog trailer to a HT in Arizona or, since we are taking only 3 dogs (1 puppy), just cramming everything in the Yukon and putting overflow on the game-carrier to save on gas. We love the convenience of the trailer, but on a 11 hour drive, some thru mtns, I'm thinking we might just have to suck it up and crowd into the truck. If I really want to go to a test or trial, gas prices won't stop me, but they might keep me from going to one just to spectate.
Tina

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shayne Mehringer said:
For two reasons I can think of --

1. It appears to me that FTs have more "white collar" participants, as compare to the predominantly "blue collar" HTs.

2. FTers are more hardcore, and more willing to make personal sacrifices.

G

·
From my limited exposure to FTs, those that are regularly successful have pretty deep pockets. An increase in fuel costs relative to training and handling fees seems pretty small to me.

On the other hand, if you're like me (trains his own dogs) transportation costs can be a substantial percentage of an annual test/trial budget.

Did any of that make sense :?: :?:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I say, "no".
A 600 mile round trip at 15 mpg will take 40 gallons of fuel.
A difference of $.50 per gallon will amount $20 for the trip.
In the grand scheme of training expenses, this is peanuts. :roll:
JS
(Now, driving a couple hundred miles to train 3 or 4 times a week ... that's a different story.) :cry:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I say, "no".
JS
(Now, driving a couple hundred miles to train 3 or 4 times a week ... that's a different story.) :cry:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Luckily I drive a 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy crew cab that my company pays for everything (diesel,insurance,licence,oil changes and it's their lease payment too!). If I had to pay for fuel alone I would not do as many weekends.
Mike Peters

·
Registered
319 Posts
JS said:
I say, "no".
JS
Great breakdown, JS! You've put it into perspective and I for one am in agreement.
Voted no before I saw this post. We don't enter more than 2 events per month and none at all during the summer months.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's made a difference in me running errands in my truck. I doubt it will make a difference in driving to tests. It has made a difference in which vehicle we plan on taking on vacation this year. 33mpg unleaded versus 15 mpg diesel really can make a difference.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cray,
I think your signature line applies to driving the 33mpg vehicle on vacation vs the undoubtly bigger 115mpg one. :( :wink:
Knees By Your Ears Regards,
Tina :lol:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I just put $62.60 in fuel in my truck tonight. But me and 4 of my hunting buddies took it to IA for a snow goose trip including dogs gear and pulling 20' trailer with 2 ATV's. 15.8 mpg avg at above avg. speed.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I don?t think it will make much of a difference in the long run. I drive on average about 30,000 miles per year and avg. 18 miles per gallon. If gasoline goes up a $1 it will cost me an additional $140 per month.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Patrick Johndrow said:
I don?t think it will make much of a difference in the long run. I drive on average about 30,000 miles per year and avg. 18 miles per gallon. If gasoline goes up a $1 it will cost me an additional $140 per month.
Well LADIDA Mr Rich Man.............you just go on wit cher bad self.......... :lol:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Polock said:
Patrick Johndrow said:
Well LADIDA Mr Rich Man.............you just go on wit cher bad self.......... :lol:

What the hell???? You piss away $140 a month on candy and beers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts