RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Do you use any type of Glucosamine Supplement for your dog(s)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use any type of Glucosamine supplement for your dog(s)?

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I use different ones depending on the age. The older dogs get GlycoFlex II or III with the sea mussel and it works very well quickly.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glucosamine in food

Cray Stephenson said:
WE feed a food that has some Glucosamine in it and I supplement Blu with Cosequin DS.
Cray
I also feed a food with Glucosamine in it (Eagle Pack), but I think the amounts that are contained in foods are probably too low to be of a whole lot of value. But it's got to be better than nothing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess the next question would be: How much glucosamine does the dog need to actually make a difference? I feed the ProPlan performance 30/20 which contains 500 ppm (min) to both my dogs (2.5 yr, 6mo. old)

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
IMHO there is a definate difference in quality.

J

·
0 Posts
It is generally thought that the liquid form is more absorbable than pill/tablet. I don't give it to my dogs, but I am a marathon runner and use SynFlex (1500 mg glucosamine per dose) for my right knee. SynFlex can also be used for dogs I believe.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm just getting started with these supplements on my two dogs. There was a thread on this board a week or so ago about these supplements. I decided on the Synovi G3 soft chews, and will try these for a while to see how it goes. Next up in my search will be Arthrosamine product which was also recommended by other folks on this site.
The Synovi G3 soft chews appear to have the ingredients that are important to the dog and will be easy to give to the dogs as well. I plan to use this product with my 4 mo. old pup and with my 6 year old dog. Different dosages based on weight is my understanding.

Gene

·
Registered
20 Posts
Patrick Johndrow said:
I have used several products but the only one I have found that seems to work is a chewable I get from my vet.
Patrick--

By saying the only one that "works"...do you mean that you only see the dog not gimping around or whatever when you use product "x"?? You use it in response to a dog that's already stiff, sore, or whatever--versus as a preventative??

Why I'm asking is, is because my dogs are both young (almost 2 and almost 3), so I use the supplement as a preventative. I don't know how I'd know right now whether or not it's working...

Nicki

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glycosoime spp.

I think the doseage for a eighty lb. dog is 1200 mg. One of the vets should have better information.

Skip C

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glucosamine

I use it as a maintenace/preventative and will probably never really know if it works forr these conditions. I doubt that much research will be done as long as it is an over the counter product with little quality control.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Does glucosamine build in the system? The amounts in dog food do not seem to have a high enough content to be therapeutic, and it generally seems that it is in the foods that those "in-the-know" would most likely use and understand. A body can only use so much of a substance and such per dose, while the rest is excreted.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The instructions recommend a loading phase for the first four to six weeks which is double the maintenance dose. I'm not qualified to answer- does it build up in your system? This to me suggests that it must to some degree or you would not have a loading phase. Just a guess...

Gene

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Nicki White said:
Patrick Johndrow said:
I have used several products but the only one I have found that seems to work is a chewable I get from my vet.
Patrick--

By saying the only one that "works"...do you mean that you only see the dog not gimping around or whatever when you use product "x"?? You use it in response to a dog that's already stiff, sore, or whatever--versus as a preventative??

Why I'm asking is, is because my dogs are both young (almost 2 and almost 3), so I use the supplement as a preventative. I don't know how I'd know right now whether or not it's working...

Nicki

No problem I have used the glucosamine that you get cheap from walmart or sam?s club and given my now 11 year old black lab and really never saw any affect one way or the other. My vet and a friend of mine gave me a tub of Synovi G3 Soft Chew tablets to try and really noticed a difference in the old gals step after three months of giving it to her. It cost me like $56 for a four month supply. I don?t know if that is discounted of not because I have never asked. But it appears to be helping my old lady a bit.

FYI, my blf weighs in at a whopping 53 pounds so a bigger dog will go through the chew faster than Josie does. A 60 to 100 pound dog will go through them twice as fast.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I supplement with Annamaet "Endure"

Ingredients:
Psyllium, Green Lipped Mussel (freeze dried), Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin Sulfate (shark), Vitamin C

2tsp dose
1000mg-Green Lipped Mussel
1000mg-Glucosamine HCL
700mg-Chondroiten Sulfate
500mg-Vitamin C
3000mg-Psyllium

Green Lipped Mussel (Perna Canaliculus) is a shellfish from New Zealand long known for it's anti-inflammatory properties. Perna is also a rich source of amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins and naturally chelated minerals. Perna contains six types of glycosaminoglycans (GAGS).
Glucosamine enhances glycosaminoglycans synthesis, enabling joints to hold more moisture thereby increasing joint flexibility.

Chondroiten Sulfate is a building block of cartilage and also a precursor needed to improve the viscosity of synovial fluid.

Psyllium is a soluable fiber that helps strengthen the gut vili. Psyllium will also help slow water movement through the gut.
Endure contains Vitamin C, the anti-stress vitamin.
Annamaet

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I have always used the glucosamine from Walmart. One of my previous dogs had severe arthritis in one hip from an injury, if she did not take the glucosamine daily she was gimpy - but as long as she took it every day she was fine.

One of my current "pet" dogs has bad hips. The same with her - she's gimpy without it and does great with it.

I think it is a "it depends" thing as to which glucosamine supplement will work best for your dog.

Andy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts