RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

The average reader of RJ owns 5.37 dogs. Are you above or below that average?

• Above.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest issue of Retriever Journal says that their readers own an average of 5.37 dogs each.

So, are you above or below that number?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
5.37!! I have not quite enough time for two. I've thought about three and have had three a couple of times but it turns into work instead of recreation. I've got to train and hold down a steady job. I might try 3 when I retire. BUT 5.37 would take the fun out of it and turn it into (gag) work. Damn, I hate that four letter word.

L

·
0 Posts
5!!

I have 5!! but only 2 are labs, and they are the only 2 I train like this. The others are house dogs. I did used to compete with the Cairn in obedience though :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have 5 Labs, but three are on the permanent injured reserved list, two with ACL's and one with EIC.

I never would have guessed I was under-dogged.

Russ

·
Registered
100 Posts
Howard N said:
5.37!! I have not quite enough time for two. I've thought about three and have had three a couple of times but it turns into work instead of recreation. I've got to train and hold down a steady job. I might try 3 when I retire. BUT 5.37 would take the fun out of it and turn it into (gag) work. Damn, I hate that four letter word.
DITTO !!! Verbatim.

***Thinking about three AGAIN Howard. Shame on me. I'll print your post here out, and reread it day and night lest I succumb to the temptation.

3=WORK=BAD ! 3=WORK=BAD ! 3=WORK=BAD !

5.37= NO WAY JOSE !

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
1= competeing field trial dog, own only half of him, comes home for vacation, and yes he does get hunted.

1= retired 12 year old, take him on the easy hunts.

2= hunt test dogs-meat dogs, they get hunted alot.

1= worthless good for nothing, "chill'in" papillion.

Not to mention the numerous dogs I raise for others in my home. I'm doomed to "early marriage" furniture and well worn flooring. :roll: :roll:

Oh Well!!!!!!!!!

Angie

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I have TEN( 8blk 1ylw 1chlt ),but ONLY train SEVEN of then.SIX of them FTor HT or BOTH.We aren't counting pups are we? :wink:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Gawd,,, we have 9, but only 4 Labs right now, the old boy I hunt with , 2 wash outs, and the one Im running,,,, then there are those damn Beagles.

tom

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have 4 wouldn't mind tryin 5 but I don't think that .37 one would be any fun.
One 5 is retired from HT hunts and trains just for fun. One 20 months I have high hopes for in FT and two pups 5 months and 3 month.
If 3 dogs is work then I should be able to quit my job and just train dogs. Sounds good to me. That would be a lot better than what I'm doing. Better go have a talk with the wife. Wish me luck.[/quote]

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I have 1.37
One almost 8 year old Golden who does NOTHING but keep me company. She has bad elbows, thyroid, etc. & isn't exactly a rocket scientist of the the dog world.

I also have my 10 year old Golden who I really want to keep running in hunt tests, but I think the heart's willing & the running gear is gonna go. Hopefully a few more tests this Spring...

2004 will be the year for a pup...

M

H

·
0 Posts
I only have the one Golden at the moment....one more though will be coming :D

Intentions were for hunting for her, but I later found out she had leg problems. :( She is so dog gone good though as far as drive goes for hunting, and she loves it. I can use a hand signal on her to set her on something, and I can pull her off just as easily if need be. She's so smart and quick to learn.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have three right now.

Do you think if I told my wife that we are below the average it would help me to get another dog??? :lol:

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
#

We have 9 of our own. Selling 2 broods, and replacing with Auggie pup.
1 family dog, 2 meat dogs, 2 broods, 2 HT dogs, and 1 FT dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Number of dogs

I have nine Tollers right now. They go from less than 2 years to 15 years old. One is just staying for a short visit.

John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Right now I have 5 personal dogs. The old man (9) who hunts the early wood duck season, my hunting dog (7 yrs old), an 18 month old I bought over the summer who will probably be sold next summer, a year old pup to be my hunt test and next hunting dog and then our 6 year old house dog. Only two get trained daily, the others just to stay in shape.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I have 4 - but the 14 year old cocker says she is the princess and SHE has 3 labs. The 14 year old retired 2 days after her 12th birthday from agility. She was a great flushing dog in her day, as well as a great tracking dog. She is also GReAT at raising lab pups. Teaches them to mind their manners. I have a 2 year old, 1 1/2 year old and 1 year old labs. If I could afford more, I would have them. The 1 1/2 year old is running Derby now. Next year should be a big competition year. I'm lookng forward to the fun.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have 3 labs now. The most I've ever owned at one time is 5 and the least is one.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Right now, I have 1 lab with 9 puppies, and 2 "pet" dogs - a pitbull and a lab/coonhound mix.

Hopefully I will be below average again before too long!!

Andy

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I have just the one Mutt. Looking at pups/litters/future breedings. Flash is 5 now, figuring I should consider finding another pup to start training, but this next pup will have to do more than the knucklehead...FTs!!

FOM

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have 2 Peakes, 1 Lab and a Scotty. A Chessy pup planned for winter/spring and my wife wants a PBGV(Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen). Anyone had experience with them and could tell me the good/bad about them?

Ken

1 - 20 of 40 Posts