RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GENERALLY SPEAKING, when handling a retriever, does "out of sight equal out of control?"

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
]What I am wondering is if, in your opinion, does "generally speaking, out of sight = out of control?"

When you reply, please indicate if you are a HTer of a FTer.

Thanks.
The rule which mentions being out of sight is for blind retrieves, not marks.....dogs don't know when they're out of sight hunting for a mark.....now if out of sight is 100 yards from the AOF, then one could say that the dog had "failed the mark", but if the crest of a hill is 20 yards deep of a 300 yard mark, being out of sight is well within the boundaries of the AOF

Out of sight on a blind retrieve means for a considerable period of time....if the blind is set up in a manner that there are portions of the blind when the dog is out of sight when online, then one could hardly assume that constitutes being out of control since the dog is where it's supposed to be

As with many rules, pulling a few words out of context and them trying to make those words the essence of the rule is incorrect

Good judges set up blinds where dogs that are not under good control will go out of sight OFF LINE to the the blind, and that is what the rule is for.

Out of sight on a mark is irrelevant unless out of sight is well out of the bounds of where a dog should be hunting, then the issue is not whether the dog is in or out of sight but that is does not know where the mark is

P.S. I did not vote 8)

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Cray said:
I don't think that OOS=OOC in all situations (some yes) for the reasons that Ed stated. But I will say that you can't judge a dog that you can't see.
then judges who object to dogs "being out of sight" shouldn't set up tests where they are out of sight when they are in a reasonable place to be on the test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.