RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What should be done with this thread?

• Move it back to RTF.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Delete it. That stuff does not belong here.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks,

Recently a regular contributor to the forum, who is also one of the key players on another internet board, made a post that was a bit outside his typical subject matter. The post had some adult humor that some may find offensive. He made an intro to that effect at the beginning of the post.

Throughout RTF history, we've had dog-related, and perhaps not-so-dog-related, subject matter posted by folks in a fun-loving fashion that was received with mixed opinion. (such is life)

While I'm not sure that this type if post is something that I'd want, if a contributor always only posted this type of stuff, I feel that this is one of those judgement calls. We've had plenty of subject matter on RTF in the past few months that has been considered to be humor in good fun by some, offensive by others.

So, here's the way I'd like to handle it. YOU vote! On Monday AM, at 9:00 AM Central time, this thread will be handled exactly as YOU call it. Democratic vote, majority rules.

Here's the link to the post. Please check it out, if you want, then vote.

Keep in mind, the originator posts legit subject mattter here regularly, is a valid contributor, and does give advance warning that it is of the adult humor angle with offensive potential.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4363

Comments?

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
dogs

Do we really have that many readers under 18? For those over 18, I think that they can censor themselves. Plus, this material is not that bad, pretty mild in my opinion. In fact, it is plain timid compared to what is on Network TV!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Adverts

There is a much used and sometimes misused phrase in the English language that springs to mind when I read the dog advertisements posted.

While it's attributed to the French, the French do not use it!

I am thinking here of "Double entendre"

Like many of the best and some of the worst advertisements this one certainly has "double entendre" written all over it!

While I am not offended, I would not like my teenage daughter to read it. On the other hand........my twenty-something son would fall about laughing at it.

I have always lived by the adage "when in doubt then leave it out"

Nimrod

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Things have different looks to various folks. Hard to believe coming from me but I cast the first vote to delete it.

I didn't find it offensive. I suppose I just didn't think it was in "good taste". I didn't care too much for the "toilet" thing in the Halloween post either. Funny, but not in good taste.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
While I enjoy a good CLEVER double entendre, I view these as being just plain gross. Maybe it's my recent mood affecting my attitude. But poking fun and injecting some blue humor is one thing. This I believe goes overboard. One of those adds may have been cleverly cute, but as a group it rapidly turns to being just plain filth.

As to my attitude alterations...the death of dogs, that has been the primary thread this week, along with posters having to fight cancer, including finding out about my closest friend having prostate cancer, I probably should have recused myself from even voting. But I did, and it was negative.

UB

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
They are not nearly as annoying at the Herbal Essence shampoo ads I see on the TV....

Ah AH AH AH.........A totally organic expericence......UGH!!!

WRL

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WRL said:
They are not nearly as annoying at the Herbal Essence shampoo ads I see on the TV....

WRL
Lee, my wife also despises those commercials!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
WRL said:

WRL
Wow Lee, how can you be UGHing anything after your Fish did it to the Yanks again last night? Thought you'd be hootin' and hollarin'. :lol: :lol:

UB

·
Registered
93 Posts
Chris, good choice in putting it to a vote. I agree with Jerry.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm with UB. I think it's nasty and disgusting. It makes me think of beastiality and thinking of dogs in regards to sex. It is something I would look at for shock value, but it repulses me. I think it's because I would feel the same way if I saw my child (to be) in an ad like this, because we are so close to our dogs as far as their being members of the family. While I know dogs have a primitive desire/need/longing/whatever to reproduce, these ads are probably the most repulsive thing I've seen in a long time. Kevin didn't appear to have any bad intentions with posting them, but I would hope they don't generally belong here... Other boards have an 18+ section. If "we" want to go that route, then add a section that can be used by 18+ only. I've turned into a prude I guess... I might have gotten a kick out of it 10 years ago, but now I think it's trashy.

-Kristie

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I'm somewhere between Jerry and Kristie on this issue.

Normally I'm a huge fan of the First Amendment, but this particular instance sorta makes me go toward the "local standards of the community," i.e., this retriever community.

No one knows who's lurking/reading/posting at any given time, even if the "users browing this forum" states names/handles. I wouldn't have posted that stuff, but I am not indicting Kevin for doing so. I just think that sort of thing should be done privately for a H-yuck or two. I thought it was funny, but then I felt a little like "what would happen if someone walking past my cube saw this" or our network administrator took that particular moment to monitor my internet traffic.... :oops: !

Reluctantly, I believe it should be removed. This just ain't the place.

Keith Griffith

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Well, I suppose I had better say something.

First, I think the ads are funny, and am not offended by them. No more than talking about "Len's wife's puppies" or "Anna K.'s toe." But to each their own. (The interesting thing here is noticing the cultural relativism as exhibited in the sensitivity to the ads.)

Second, I knew that it would come down to a judgement call by the moderators if they would allow them on this Forum. I was perfectly prepared if they were deleted, I understood completely. Not a problem. No hard feelings.

Finally, I think there is a difference between letting the thread live or die "incidentally" and "making an issue of it." I think the comments and reactions are not the same. I think that we all tend to tolerate a lot of incidentals, but when an issue is made of something we tend to take a stand.

In any case, I want to apologize, sincerely, if I offended anyone with the posts. It was never my intent. I just enjoyed them, and so wanted to share them with my friends.

Again, I am sorry.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
What's next? The Avatars :roll: If we are really woried about the under 18 crowd some of them are pushing the envelope :p
John- The loftiest edafices need the deepest foundation G.S.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Hi Kevin,

No offense was taken by me. It's just my upbringing, and education in the business I was in for much of my life. Being an old morning man on the radio for beaucoup years, we had to learn where the fine line was drawn. We could get away with clever blue stuff, but even then there was a line that had to be acknowledged. If the 'jock' didn't know where that was, he didn't last long in midwest America.

Now, of course we have every form of "shock-jock" imaginable, thanks to the advent of Howard Stern and his ilk. Some may find that entertaining, but I find it disgusting. I don't consider myself prudish, or governed by the evangelical crowd. I just know for myself what I consider as fun, clever, cute, entertaining, enjoyable, and not embarrassing if my kids happened to tune in. I take pride in being Uncle Bill to thousands of young kids, that as grown ups today, still remember my antics with a smile.

Taste is something we all view in different gradations, but we all seem to know when it's left a good or bad sensation in our mouths. Plus, as I stated in my previous post, surrounding events always color these tastes. What might be palatable one day, can become nauseating the next.

UB

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
From Christy:
I think it's nasty and disgusting. It makes me think of beastiality and thinking of dogs in regards to sex.
Me too. That's why I voted to move it back :wink:

Actually, I thought they were funny as all get out.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I think one would have been fine, but by the last one it got disgusting.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I've never seen a GUY with a camel toe! That takes the cake!
And then?

I've turned into a prude I guess...
Flipping too fast for me to keep track of :shock: :lol:

I laughed till half the office came over to see what was up. Then we had 20 people rolling around on the floor holding their sides. Keep 'em!!!

Bubba

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
One was mildly amusing, a whole string of them was vulgar. I say dump them..........we don't need that junk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts