Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry, but I just can't let this one slide by!

On the now infamous Wildrose thread, Shayne said DU's "Drake" is a superior duck dog to Justin's "Yella!" AND THEN HE DEFENDED THE ASSERTION!

That my friend, is crazy talk, and I intend to demonstrate that here and now with this poll.

Yella came one retrieve from passing the HRC's Grand!!! The best Drake can do as a British-style "Gentleman's Dog" is bring Mike his pipe and slippers! :wink:

So what say the members of the RTF -- Drake or Yella, or some other dog we have not yet considered?

[Anyone who votes "Buck" will be summarily taken out and shot.] :lol:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I am sure Buck is a sweet dog. And I am also just as sure Billy would be the first to admit any of her failings are his fault.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I'm with ya on "Buck".

Everyone knows i'm not a fan of Wildrose and the brit dog stuff.

I would MUCH rather watch Waterdog than DU. Its a million times better show. However, i think Drake is a better trained hunting dog. Yella is a nice dog and with age and training she'll likely go beyond Drake.

One retrieve from completing a grand or one series from finishing a national doesn't mean the dog would be any more enjoyable to hunt over. I'm into low maintenance dogs that i don't have to jack with. Hunting, for a well trained retriever, is cake.

Change the poll to ask which dog i would rather have for hunt tests and my answer would change. What i deem "ideal" in a hunting dog is different than a hunt test dog and is even more different in a field trial dog.

Shayne

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Craig Bauer said:
Kevin do you honestly sit around and think about this BS.
At a hundred miles a minute! :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
i haven't seen yella in a while, so i can't comment, but i didn't know that the dog did so well in the grand.

drake looks like an okay dog, but a little too calm. not enough spunk from whatt i can tell. IMHO, a dog can be very steady, great hunt test and hunting dog, etc and still have plenty of piss, fire, and vinegar. Drake doesn't look like he's got that, from what i've seen of the du show and from what i saw at a stewart training demo at the du outdoor fest in memphis. Im not sure what it is, but he doesn't look llike he likes it enough.

im DEFINITELY SO with you on Buck. It would drive me crazy hunting with that dog --it seems like she breaks on every shot and and it seems like billy has to get out of the blind to line her dern near every retrieve. Could never imagine trying a hunt test with her. (on the other hand, she does have the spunk that Drake lacks- i do like that about her. she does appear to be having fun, which is what l like about hunting with dogs.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shayne Mehringer said:
Change the poll to ask which dog i would rather have for hunt tests and my answer would change. What i deem "ideal" in a hunting dog is different than a hunt test dog. . . .
My friend, why not wait until your trip to the line in Finished before making that presumption about HRC HTs? :wink:

Remember, HRC is all about realism, as much as is realistically possible. For me, there is NO DIFFERENCE between a great HRC dog and a great hunting dog. 8)

·
Registered
549 Posts
do videos count?
if so i'll have to give it to buck gardner's "Bro"

Boomer and Akin have been on tv a few times

what's wrong w/ buck ? HAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wutadog said:
This one's EASY......
Windy (aka Wutadog)
Winner of the Middleburg SRS :)
Dave
Oh geesh, I forgot the SRS dogs! :shock:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sheesh, don't you guys watch "Cooking with Miss Lucy" on PBS?

My dog, Chien, was clearly the best dog on tube this year.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
Shayne Mehringer said:
Change the poll to ask which dog i would rather have for hunt tests and my answer would change. What i deem "ideal" in a hunting dog is different than a hunt test dog. . . .
My friend, why not wait until your trip to the line in Finished before making that presumption about HRC HTs? :wink:

Remember, HRC is all about realism, as much as is realistically possible. For me, there is NO DIFFERENCE between a great HRC dog and a great hunting dog. 8)
And exactly what presumption do you think i've made?

There is a HUGE difference. The main one being training. I would much rather train a dog like Yella. Training for hunt tests day in and day out, yep... gimme Yella. I don't want to train (for maintenance purposes) a hunting dog.

Shayne

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
potshot said:
i haven't seen yella in a while, so i can't comment, but i didn't know that the dog did so well in the grand.
Didn't Yella already pass a Grand once, and do it at 15 months old? Wasn't she the youngest in HRC history to do so? Apparently the judges thought she did passable work!

- Chris

·
Registered
519 Posts
My understanding is the Yella passed her first Grand at 15 or 16 months, then broke on the last series (upland) in her second grand. She is a lot more dog than Drake.

Buck

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
rcmannjr said:
My understanding is the Yella passed her first Grand at 15 or 16 months, then broke on the last series (upland) in her second grand. She is a lot more dog than Drake.

Buck
I totally agree with that last statement.

Shayne

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yall have way too much time on your hands!!!

I have not seen Buck and Billy for a while - Billy's mouth kinda ruins it for me.

Every time I catch Waterdog - about once every other month - they are hunting early season mallards in the Dakotas. Same show. I don't know if they even have another show. I know the show is not geared toward me, but they spend way too much time on dog training basics and not enough on KILLING BIRDS!

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK - I've tried to stayout of this because I have Brit dogs. However, I think that the stereotype of laid back, lazy, loafing dogs is far too prevelent in the US HT/FT community. Not loking to start this argument again, just sticking up for my pooches! My too youngest have got more drive and desire than I've seen in many dogs on the NE HT circuit. Ask Polock, Molly is a streaming ball of fire and any faults she has is attributed to my inexperience as a trainer and handler. Tucker is a bit softer when it comes to pressure, but still has the desire and drive of a Mac truck.

As far as Drake is concerned, I have never seen him run live or on TV so I can't honestly answer this poll. I do however like Yella very much. She's a good looking girl and I would be proud to hunt over her any day!

Nothin' gainst present shows, but how bout a show centered more around training than actual hunting? (Sorry Gerard) Don't get me wrong, I like to see those "feathered devil's" drop from the sky as much as the next guy, but think that it would a cool and novel idea rather than just going out every week and "shootin' em up".

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dave Combs said:
Nothin' gainst present shows, but how bout a show centered more around training than actual hunting?

Yep....that'd be like watchin' the travel channel and seein' the plane ride without ever seeing the destination. ;)

1 - 20 of 98 Posts