RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

If this were your male dog, would you breed him to this female?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe (it depends)

• Other (explain/describe)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetical case (kinda):

You have a male dog with a top notch HT title (MH or HRCH or MHR). He has 5 FT or HT titled dogs in the first two generations of his ancestors, and a large number of titled dogs in the rest of the pedigree.
His hips are OFA "good", elbows are "normal", CERF is "clear".

A fella calls you up, wanting to know if you would use your dog as a stud for his female. His dog has no titles, and is a housepet. She has 3 FT or HT titled dogs in her first two generations of ancestors, she also has quite a few titled dogs in the rest of her pedigree. . Her hips are OFA "excellent", elbows are "normal", CERF is "clear" and she is negative for brucellosis.

There is currently a glut of Labrador puppies on the market, and the price is low -- However, both of these dogs point, and there is a waiting list for PL puppies. In the part of the country where these puppies would be born, they would probably sell for $600 or more.

If this were your male dog, would you breed him to this female?

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah why Not......

Chris K ............How about that Roger Clemens!!! 8-0!! Cy-Young Maybe???

I must confess being a Mets Fan I also love the Stros.......Did you know Jeff Kent is a Big time hunter......Biggio Having a great year to.....But the hefty Lefty Berkman is da MAN!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hate to GDG the man's thread up, but baseball and the Astros will get me talking. :D

[email protected] straight Cy Young ! IF he keeps chunking freakin' BBs up there like he has the rest of the way out. His Momma fed him Rubber bands for breakfast. Arm won't quit. And yep, Hefty Lefty got a stick that won't quit too. Home grown untouchable Franchise player. 8)

Do or die this year, against THE toughest division. They'll be there .... and so will I. 8)

Thinking if we still had the Kid....... mmmmmm .... lights out in 7, 8, and 9th. Dotel better keep steppin'.

Mets AND Stros fan, huh ? You must be too young then to remember '86 and Mookey Wilson. :evil: I'm no old-timer either, but remember skipping school to watch every game. 8)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I woulda bred my dog to a Afghan Hound if i could have found a taker before i cut him! hahaha (i'm so not kidding, i wanted him to get some)

How much is he willing to pay for a stud fee? IF your wanting to know what your male throws... this may be the best way to find out.

A few force fetch sessions would fix that pointin crapola!!! HAHAHA

Shayne

·
Registered
813 Posts
Why not?

You have to look at things a bit differently. The dog clears all the health issues. The dog is going to be bred regardless. So, if you do breed you probably at least keep the puppies coming from healthy parents. If you don't and she ends up bred to an "unhealthy" dog then you did more damage then you did good.

The pointing part and the value of the pups has no baring.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Is the dog JUST a housepet or is the dog an accomplished hunting dog that points? That would be the difference.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes...if you don't someone else will...and....at least from your side it's a quality animal. If there's going to pups anyway, at least you can improve the overall gene pool.

It's easy to get tunnel vision with FT or HT labs. There is another world that may not give a flip about the 'games'..doesn't mean either side is wrong, that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Would you breed these dogs?

Doc, twelve years ago this happened to me and the only difference was there was no pointing instinct involved. I had a well bred male heavy in FT blood and who was a fourth generation hunt test bred. The female was all FT blood with several NFCs in the line. She was a couch potato. When the owner called I would not talk to him and my wife did and then convinced me to talk to the owner. Glad I did for I would have missed a very good breeding. Pups were great and several turned out to be very good hunt test dogs as well as very good hunting dogs. I did require the owner to register his dog with UKC so that we would have dual registered pups and we also co-op an ad in the Hunting Retriever magazine to sell the pups and he cooperated in seeing that the pups were placed properly.

The crux of the matter was that I could not get him to repeat the breeding once he experienced the work that goes in to breeding, raising, and the selling of the pups.

Bob Region

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is the thing about a stud dog. If you don't take his money and breed you nice dog to his. Then he will probabley go down the road and breed to some piece. At least with you breeding you nice male you the dog you are inproving this breeding. Because do kid youself if he decides to breed he will with or without your dog. Do you part and help improve what you can.

I agree with the general public about to many people breeding and people breeding dogs they shouldn't. But if I know someone is going to breed a female that I don't think should be breed I am going to try to at least get them to breed to a nice stud. That give the pups 1/2 a chance. And who knows a new lean mac may be born. I had much rather get a dog into train that has one good parent than both parents just being pets.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Lance Vines said:
Here is the thing about a stud dog. If you don't take his money and breed you nice dog to his. Then he will probabley go down the road and breed to some piece. At least with you breeding you nice male you the dog you are inproving this breeding. Because do kid youself if he decides to breed he will with or without your dog. Do you part and help improve what you can.

I agree with the general public about to many people breeding and people breeding dogs they shouldn't. But if I know someone is going to breed a female that I don't think should be breed I am going to try to at least get them to breed to a nice stud. That give the pups 1/2 a chance. And who knows a new lean mac may be born. I had much rather get a dog into train that has one good parent than both parents just being pets.
Had one of my old students call, wanted to breed the lab he uses when guiding pheasant hunts. I declined, feeling all self-righteous that I wasn't contributing to BYB. He ended up breeding it to some untrained, unchecked pet cuz he wasn't willing to pay any stud fees. I didn't feel so righteous anymore. Now I see Lance's point of view. At least we know my dog has OFA good hips and can hunt... it's a tough call to make. In the case you describe, I'd probably do it...

...if only everyone cogitated on the issue like you're doing now...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dwight ... do you really give a ratsazz what others think about Casey breeding a house Lab? If her health clearances are there and the pups are desireable, then do it. You'r not going to get everyone's approval no matter which way you go so why ask?

(Cappy says "ENJOY" ... Casey boy!) :lol:

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I'd be worried about the "glowing" eyes thing...she doesn't carry the gene does she??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FOM

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yikes. Those glowing eyes would scare off those early morning ducks.

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jim

Nevada Jim said:
Dwight ...
1. do you really give a ratsazz what others think about Casey breeding a house Lab?
2. If her health clearances are there and the pups are desireable, then do it.
3. You're not going to get everyone's approval no matter which way you go so why ask?

4. (Cappy says "ENJOY" ... Casey boy!) :lol:
1. Yup, I do. There are a lot of people here that are much more knowledgeable here than I am. You know me, I'm a big time "researcher for information" when it comes to things that are important to me. There were some posts here (and at the Refuge) that brought up things that I hadn't even thought about.

2. The pups should be able to be sold without any problem, and considering the economy up here, folks that could afford them would be more likely to "do something" with them and the dogs would be unlikely to end up in a shelter. But I'm still debating.

3. I knew there wouldn't be a unanimous vote (I was just looking for a concensus of opinion and things to think about).

4. I ain't tellin' him nuthin :wink:

When is the move to TX taking place?

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another strain

Cat Squirrel said:
I didn't realize CERF checked for Glowing Eye Syndrome (GES)

Wanna get 'em together Doc E? :wink:
Hey, we're getting new strains of Labs all the time - PLs, minature Labs etc. We could make a million with a Glowing Eyes strain :shock:

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all !

I want to thank everyone who posted and voted on this thread. :!:

As you can see, I don't take things like breeding an already overpopulated breed of dog lightly. You folks gave me some things to think about that hadn't even come to mind. Thank you again, I appreciate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts