RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting desperate for water to train in. The area where I live the soil will not hold water. I have a bowl on the front of my property that would make a nice pond but even after a downpour it is dry within an hour. Shoot, there is a small spring creek next to the pasture I train in that just disappears into a sinkhole. Do any of you have experience with pond liners? What I have seen on the web they are very expensive but I could put a couple of points out into this bowl and line it and maybe at least have a place where I could teach a young dog the basics. I figured the liner alone would cost me 6 grand but I need to get a new pup and start bringing along a new dog. I hesitate to get a new pup because I literally have no water closer than an hour and a half away. App​reciate any advice on pond building with a liner.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Call me. I'm the Rocky Mountain / Central / West Coast rep for the oldest and largest liner fabricator in the US. Prior, I worked as an installer for 8 years estimating/PM'ing/running construction crews doing installations. I've lined everything from fishing ponds for Hollywood stars to containing waste at the largest superfund sites in the US.

Happy to give you recommendations and hook you up with liner at cost.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Rototiller, sand, water, and bentonite. Combine. :) Where I grew up, we called this "soil cement". Lived at the edge of the sandhills in Nebraska where water disappears faster then tax dollars in US Gov. coffers.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Sand and bentonite isn't a good idea. The goal is to stop leakage, sand is a draining material. You want as loamy a soil as possible to use a bentonite soil amendment process. I cannot tell you how many golf courses have attempted bentonite/soil amendments only to install a real liner within 5 years because their water loss was so high. Cost savings of a real liner paid for itself in a year.

In a nut shell, if you have 12" of decent soil, remove that soil and stockpile. Place bentonite on ground at specified lbs. per SF, rototill. (this is dependent upon your present soils. The more sand you have, the more bentonite you'd need and often, you'll need to import soil to improve the conditions for the soil amendment) Then, the step that "most" people miss, COMPACT. If you use sand/gravel mix you won't get anywhere near a 90% compaction which is needed for a good seal. Once compaction is achieved, replace top loamy layer of 12"++ and again, compact.

Bentonite works when it is hydrated. When hydrated it swells. Swelling of the bentonite fills the gaps in the dirt creating a impermeable barrier. If you have non-compactable material it will swell but, just turn into goo in the voids.This may work for a short period of time but, with the money and expense of simply hauling clay, it pays off quickly just to do it right the first time. The piping effect will quickly erode away swollen bentonite. It becomes almost a liquid and will flow. Simply putting clay on the ground is the same. When it eventually becomes hydrated, it will just be a gooey mess and will ceases to hold water. Put it in correctly, you'll never have a problem.

If I recall the last soil amendement job (I supplied betonite in bulk sacks, one ton bags) they used 30 tons for an acre on a sandy site. They also imported loam topsoil to mix with the bentonite so, price went even higher.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Here are a few before and after pictures of a little decorative pond lining. Steep slopes won't hold soil. Rocks aren't ideal for dog training but, considering how much easier maintaining the pond edges are it is worth the consideration. A simple pumping system was used to bring the water back to the upper pond, across the little water flow to help reduce stagnation. The final product was awesome. Liner was obviously the least expensive part of this particular project. Supplied and installed price was around $ 0.60 SF. The rockery detail around the edges was pricey.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. Paul, I sent you a PM. I have seen Chad's swim-by pond but haven't asked him about it. It is a bit smaller than the area I am looking at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts