RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a farm pond that I am about to do some work on. I'm digging one cove out making it longer and the other I was thinking splitting making 2 coves separated with a point. My question is How wide should the point be and how wide should each cove be for dogs safety . The point I was envisioning would be somewhat v shaped.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Make the point wide enough say 10-15yds so the the dog and you have time to make decisions. Points that are too narrow are hard to get corrections on for both you and the dog. The channels need to be at least 42 inches deep and 10 yds wide. If you can make a few shoulders on the sides of the points you can do more advanced work by taking thin slices of land and get a couple reentries at the same time. If you can make one of the channels have a right or left bend at the end that turns at a 90 for another 30 ft it can help also.
Chad

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My idea was to lengthen the right hand cove by 15 yds using spoil to make the point a little more prominent. Then take the left hand cove add a cove to the southwest and another due south.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts