RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is considered Popping? I sent my dog on a long water blind at a hunt test a while back. He looked back at me 3/4s of the way to the bird and kept going. The judge said he was checking his angle. Was he being nice, or was this indeed an angle check?

I ask because he does this from time to time, and I am afraid it could be interpreted as a pop at a test.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
That was a peek. Three peeks is a pop.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Capt Jack is pulling your leg. It is definitely not a pop. I think it is the dog being a little insecure and he is just checking on you. He doesn't want to do anything wrong.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
A pop is an un-commanded stop. It doesn't sound as if he stopped, and so he did not pop. But it needs maintenance. It's not an indicator of adequate momentum, and that's a critical element. What do you plan to do in training to treat this?

Evan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the input. I agree with you Mr. Nutt, it sounds like he is still insecure about it. Evan, it sounds like we need to do more bucket drills

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Thanks all for the input. I agree with you Mr. Nutt, it sounds like he is still insecure about it. Evan, it sounds like we need to do more bucket drills
What training has he had? Is he transitioned to cold blinds? How long ago were Basics?

Evan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evan, I am an amateur at all of this. When I purchase my Chessie, I never even new what a Hunt Tests were. The breeder gave me a book, and I just kind of read the first couple of chapters. The dogs talent clearly transcended my training ability. I kept the book on the in the bathroom, and read it then. In one chapter, there was a mention of hunt tests, so I googled that. I noticed he was retrieving really well. So I entered one, and he passed, and I loved it. Duke has his senior title, and is a pass away from his seasoned title.

Training has been reactive to issues I come across while at hunt test, or actually hunting. When I had a problem, I would just kind of figure it out myself. He hand casts great, and is very steady at the line. He marks awesome. But I realize in order to run with the big boys, he needs big boy training. This is why I need to find a regimented training program. I have no business talking about training programs because I have never researched them. I kind used a bit of common sense, suggestions from folks I met at hunt tests, and I guess some of the Dobbs Library. I don't have any super technical ponds. I have joined a training group, but we meet once a month, and I spend most of my time there loading wingers.

Hell, now the cat is out of the bag. I clearly don't know what the I am doing.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
Suggest you read post #5 by Capt Jack.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?85356-Building-confidence-on-blinds

The most often talked about training programs are:
Smartworks by Evan Graham
Total Retriever Training 2d edition by Mike Lardy
Fowl Dog by Rick S.

Fowl Dog is probably the cheapest. Lots of first time trainers find Smartworks the easiest. I use TRT by Mike Lardy. I find it suits me best. My suggestion is to pick one and stay with it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
No pop and if a judge thinks it is they should not be judging. My girl which is 1 pass away from her Master and she is already an HRCH, started twirling after I send her on a blind in a hunt test. First time she did it, made a complete circle than kicked off and lined the blind, on same test 2nd blind, she did the same thing but barked at me than lined the blind. I asked the judge later while rebirding how is that judged and he said he had no freaking idea. She will still do it sometime at a test, you just never know when. We have tried untwirling but it does not matter

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
No pop and if a judge thinks it is they should not be judging. My girl which is 1 pass away from her Master and she is already an HRCH, started twirling after I send her on a blind in a hunt test. First time she did it, made a complete circle than kicked off and lined the blind, on same test 2nd blind, she did the same thing but barked at me than lined the blind. I asked the judge later while rebirding how is that judged and he said he had no freaking idea. She will still do it sometime at a test, you just never know when. We have tried untwirling but it does not matter
I saw a dog do this in a master over the weekend. That handler also said the dog never does that other than at tests. I wonder if it's just nervous/anxious excitement of the test environment that causes it. Same as you, it didn't hurt the dogs performance any.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
pops

Capt Jack is pulling your leg. It is definitely not a pop. I think it is the dog being a little insecure and he is just checking on you. He doesn't want to do anything wrong.
I agree with Wayne here...it is the result of the dog being a little insecure about what he or she is doing or where they are going....
I call a peek a " pop without the stop" ... The dog is asking for help or reassurance in both instances... Just a verbal back will tell the dog it is ok , just keep going...Walk softly and carry a big stick ....Peeks will usually clear up with out the use of pressure...
Spins are usually the result of pressure ...real ( physical ) or preconceived ( mental )...Peeks can turn into pops and then into spins if not dealt with properly....Steve S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.