RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out training, away from the truck, no trees in sight...how do folks make shade for their dogs? I need something easy to carry that can shade my dog while staked.

I found a PetBrella advertised that looks perfect but not anywhere to buy it (at least not quickly).

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The sportsbrella can be bought on line or Sams has them. Around 40.00. It has 2 side tie downs that you can tie to the side of the truck and prop up over the dog kennel. My husband attached a short piece of PVC pipe behind the kennel. You slip the umbrella in that and it helps hold it up.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Old patio/beach umbrella ($ free from neighbor),
Umbrella Canopy Shade Fashion accessory Gazebo

and
$4 tiki torch stake (sold just about everywhere)

Pez
My dog is low key enough that I can tie her out to the umbrella stake and/or one of those step-in fence posts.

This setup also works great for the owner/handler when there is ample shade for the dog. :p

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try rigging up an UV umbrella to a tie out stake. They don't have any umbrella blinds in the stores around here right now.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Here you go, Dave makes the best tie out stakes and also makes umbrella stands that swivel so you can aim the umbrella. 2 pieces but then you can use the umbrella when the dog isn't.
http://stakeoutinc.com/

·
Registered
484 Posts
The best tie out stakes and also makes umbrella stands that swivel so you can aim the umbrella. 2 pieces but then you can use the umbrella when the dog isn't.
http://stakeoutinc.com/[/QUOTE]

X2 I purchased 6 of these stakeouts for my training trip to Texas. Best purchase I made and they were used multiple times daily.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I just purchased two of the umbrella stands and love them. But those or for me and my husband, the dog gets the big umbrella or awning over the truck.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Not a fan of the chain???

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You all that are using the umbrella stands: are you attaching the dog to the umbrella stand?
I'd say it would depend on the dog. Some dogs require more substantial anchors.

I'm sure my dog would be fine, but I don't want my dog to knock it over and hurt herself or break the umbrella. I don't want to look like one of those folks that says: "my dog NEVER breaks" :p

Most of the time, I put my umbrella near the truck and give my dog enough rope to move under the umbrella and/or the truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts