RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay a few on here mentioned the Michele Pouloit DVD which I am currently working my way through. I am curious if you used stand as the default as she does or if you instead used Sit? I do plan to do a few other sports in which stand would be good, but hunting is paramount. I know from pointing dogs though, sit is a hard to resist default for the dog if you start with that... even when they also know a stand command.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the activities I do with my dog... I used a default sit for her type of platform work.

For you, it sounds like a stand could be a better option. A sit accidently becomes a default for so many dogs because it's what people ask for before playing, before placing bowls down, before passing out treats, etc... While my dog's default in heel is a Sit, his default in general is a stand. I am conscious to not only reward it, but to prompt other people that my dog does NOT have to sit to be pet. He does NOT have to sit to get fed treats, etc. In other words, it isn't that the dog knows Sit, but that people tend to then reward that more than stand. A default stand is not as recognized as a "behavior" as much to humans!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts