Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us breed our dogs to produce fine working retrievers. I know that I, along with some on this forum, prefer to sell our pups to FT/HT homes so we know that the pup will not only be given the opportunity to fulfill their potential and also will be able to do what retrievers love to do...retrieve :)

I would like to run a poll to see what is the preference of those on this forum. So, give me your opinion :)

Vicky

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Serious agility competitors have caught on that they need to get Labs from field breeders instead of show breeders.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
But seriously...

I DO NOT sell pets. Ever. Period. End of discussion.

Chessies are a labor-intensive breed, and most people who want "only a pet" (broad brush, here), want something that will be an enjoyable "lawn ornament' with minimal outlay in time and energy. This breed DOES NOT fit that paradigm. Chessies are for people who have a passion for dog training.

My basic rules are either 1) must have had Chessies before, or 2) have been active with another SPORTING breed, or 3) are experienced in some form of structured competition, or 4) I give them the name of some show Lab breeders I know, who are happy to place the non-showable pups in loving family homes.

Lisa - gonna get some hate mail now, I reckon

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Hunters and active couples seem to appreciate a dog more than some FT and HT homes, and yet they want and need an athletic/intelligent dog. They take care of them and they are a real part of the family. JMHO but I think the home is very important.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I prefer to place them in homes where the pups will be used for the purposes I bred them for, but I will consider performance homes. I avoid placing pups in Pet homes.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
As someone who's going to be looking for a pup in 2004-how difficult is it for someone who's only had one dog (owner trained & handled) to find a pup from a good breeding? Are most breeders looking for someone more experienced? Do MHR/SH titles (MH ambitions w/ next pup) count to breeders?

Thanks!
(Vet appt follow up wasn't good, so I guess I better start looking for a pup!)

M

C

·
0 Posts
Vicky, I have my first litter on the ground so the question you pose is one that I have mulled over seriously. I believe I would place my vote in the Other category.

My breeding philosophy is to produce a companion hunting dog with good temperament and functional confirmation. Although the puppies from my first litter could possibly succeed with a FT home I would say my preferred buyer falls into two categories.

1. Performance Homes (e.g. Hunt Test, Obedience, Agility): I do not want to generalize but I believe Performance Homes provide a breeder with the best of both worlds. They give the dog an activity/job to do while a also (IMHO) providing the ultimate Pet Home (i.e. they spend alot of time with their dogs). In the case of Hunt Test Homes they very likely do some hunting.

2. Pet Homes: This is my second preference with a major qualification. They must be active homes that integrate the dog into their life style. My goal is a driven gun dog so I just do not believe a Pet Home with a sedentary life style is the right home. If they hunt all the better but first and foremost I like to see a home that first considers the dog as an integral part of the family. An example is the description of one home where I placed a puppy. A couple will be buying the dog as a companion for the wife who jogged with their last dog. The husband goes on one or two bird hunting trips a year.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Any home where the dog will appreciated and cared for appropriately. IMHO people can enjoy dogs in a variety of ways, no one way is superior to another, so long as the dog will be given good life that is all that matters. :)
Tim

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Miriam Wade,

I know where there are 5 black lab males left, good pedigree too, decent price. :lol:

FOM

·
Registered
15 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
Serious agility competitors have caught on that they need to get Labs from field breeders instead of show breeders.
Kevin, I think that is sort of a mixed bag. Of the 12 MACH titled Labs, 4 are show bred, 3 are field bred, the balance don't fall into either category

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
lrlabs said:
AmiableLabs said:
Kevin, I think that is sort of a mixed bag. Of the 12 MACH titled Labs, 4 are show bred, 3 are field bred, the balance don't fall into either category
What is an MACH??

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: "pet" homes

For higher bred pups, (FC sired) they go to performance homes and first time buyers have to prove they will put the dog with a pro if they run into problems or knows someone they can rely on that has trained dogs before.

I prefer the hunting or HT homes, for my MH/SH sired pups. For buyers, this is their one dog or replacement for their older dog and he's a part of their family. I receive updates on their achievements regularly. Of the last litter, all were bought solely for hunting, some have entered HT's and are hooked.

Pet homes- this must be their one dog, they have to have an active lifestyle. Those looking for couch potatoes to watch TV with them when they get home from work, a dog for the kids, a dog to keep the other dog company, etc. need not apply.

--Lisa

·
Registered
813 Posts
I chose other:

There is one major qualification to selling a pup......

It must go to a home that will love it to death.

If you are trying to make a name for yourself in the Trial/Test world I can imagine only selling to those people.

I have a pup that lives near Denver that is the precious angel of a triathlete. It gets all the love it can stand and runs in the mountains every day. What a life.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
how difficult is it for someone who's only had one dog (owner trained & handled) to find a pup from a good breeding?
Not difficult at all, there are lots of very good breedings out there. You may have a breeder that won't sell to you for a variety of reasons, they may be looking for FT homes only and you are mainly HT, etc. I contacted a breeder looking for a FT pup, filled out the "questionaire" and never heard back. I assume that this person felt I wasn't worthy of one of her pups, being new in FT and just getting started and all. Maybe she didn't like my choice of pros? Who knows, she had her reasons and I didn't take it personally. I just figure when the pup I got instead of hers gets her FC/AFC I will send a nice letter informing her of such. :twisted:
You shouldn't have a hard time at all finding a nice pup, just keep looking around until you find what you want, for the price you want.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
LVL - I DO NOT sell pets. Ever. Period. End of discussion
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny thing cuz my Common-Law Brother-in-Law is looking for 2 labs as pets. He asked me for a referral, but I told him that he should go to a Lab Rescue to find a "pet" in need of the love and attention it deserves. One of my friends does that and it works out great. They just rescued a Golden and Lab that are awesome around the home and now they are in for a spoiled rotten life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If and when I ever breed dogs, I will hope my dogs go to homes where they are cared for and a part of the family first, preferrably a family who hunts or trains. I would honestly say that I would NOT want my dogs to go to some owners who just own the dogs and all work is done by a pro. Start flaming me if you want, but I do not like the way I have seen SOME pro's and how the client dogs are cared for. They lack nothing of food, shelter, work, stimulation; but I do feel they lack a family, or that bond that a dog gets when it lives with a good house, not in a 4X10 run or on a 20 hole truck. All of the retriever breeds I have worked with have always had that one overwhelming need, to feel a part of the family.

Miriam, you should have no problem getting a well bred working dog when you are ready. You may not be on the A list for a $3000 pup, but not many are. Shop around, be patient, and wait until you see exactly what you want. I can't imagine with the number of pups for sale, that any but the most exclusive of breedings would turn you down.

JMAC

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is getting harder here in Aus to find hunting homes due to the anti huntling lobby. Do reluctantly sell to pet homes but preferable only when they have had experience with the breed before. Some pet homes are brilliant and some hunting homes are awful!

·
Administrator
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just assumed (I know, I know....ass-u-me) that homes, no matter what kind, would have to be first of all homes where the puppies would receive love and be well cared for.......I know most of us "screen" our buyers pretty carefully :)

13 years ago, I had a litter that was sold to many pet homes......those dogs probably have had some of the most loving and caring homes you could find. In the last 6 months or so, I've been contacted by a few of those owners because they have lost their old guy/girl. It's been great being able to give recommendations to them or referrals for their new "best buddy" :)

Vicky

1 - 20 of 47 Posts