RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our yellow lab's due date is 19 days away and this evening when I got home from work I noticed one of her teats is very swollen on the end, everything else looks fine and the rest look normal as well. I am assuming it is infected or something? I plan on taking her in to the vet tomorrow morning, but was wondering if anyone knows what it is and if I can do something to help her this evening to keep it from getting worse. It looks and feels like it is going to pop.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Does she have a temperature? It almost looks as though some of the hair wrapped around it causing the irritation?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I would see the vet on that one, it looks a little angry....

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
She does not have a temperature that I can tell.
You should be able to tell by taking her temperature. You need to buy a thermometer if you don't have one.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You should be able to tell by taking her temperature. You need to buy a thermometer if you don't have one.
X10 .......EVERYBODY should have a dog thermometer

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would highly recommend taking her temp...if it is high off to the ER. Too risky to mess with waiting until morning.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Was that temp taken at rest or after she was a bit excited? It is a bit elevated but I would take to vet in the A.M.. I just don't like the look of it...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was taken when she was calm, just been laying outside on the deck. Do you guys think the teat is infected I assume? We plan on taking her in tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Was she cooking in the sun? (before taking temp)
COULD be just an infected hair follicle......as a woman, it SURE as hell looks painful!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took her in to the vet this morning and he said it is a cyst, but is not cancerous. He said that she should be fine to nurse the pups and that it will not be a problem for the pups nursing. He said that we could have it removed after the pups are done weaning. He did mention that she has a lot of milk in already for being about 18 days out from whelping. Have any of you had your females with a lot of milk in 3 weeks before they are due to whelp?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts