RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our pregnant female lab has quite a bit of milk in already and she isn't due to whelp for around another 18 days. Is this normal and is there anything that I should be concerned about? This is her 2nd litter in 4 years and I don't recall her milk coming in this fast last time. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I would suspect you have her whelp date wrong. My girls usually don't start to bag up until about 10 days out. If you do have the right date, be prepared for LOTS of milk and possible mastitis.

Meredith

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Your vet has definitely confirmed preganancy???? The only time I have seen a dam have milk this early is false pregnancy

Are you really overfeeding her???? Her increase in food should only be about 1/3 before pups arrive.

Meredith is correct... just watch for any signs of mastitis (either before or after whelping). High temperature comes on rapidly associated with it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet confirmed by ultrasound that he saw at least 5 or 6 pups (and said more could be hiding behind the others) at around what he figured was day 28 according to the size of the pups I believe. Should I now have an x-ray taken to see how many are in there or should I wait a little longer before I do that? I thought it was strange that the milk was in so early, I think her first litter of 10 had milk come in about a week before the pups were born. This is making me a little nervous.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She was bred on March 14th(day 15 of heat cycle), 16th, and 18th. The vet said according to what he could see on the ultrasound that she was at about day 28 and he thought the last breeding on the 18th was most likely the one that made it happen and he was counting 62 days from the March 20th for a due date of May 21st I think. Would it be best to just have an x-ray done, could they count the pups by their spinal cords yet? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Do you have progesterones or breeding dates? What day was the US done?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Although I don't remember how many days out Bam bagged up with her last litter, I know it was very early compared to the prior litter.

I have no experience with mastitus, but, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Doesn't hurt to keep a sharp eye on her in any event.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
She was bred on March 14th(day 15 of heat cycle), 16th, and 18th. The vet said according to what he could see on the ultrasound that she was at about day 28 and he thought the last breeding on the 18th was most likely the one that made it happen and he was counting 62 days from the March 20th for a due date of May 21st I think. Would it be best to just have an x-ray done, could they count the pups by their spinal cords yet? Thanks.
I would be ready on the 14th-15th JIC. If you want to xray, go in a week. I would be less concerned about numbers of pups, and more concerned about the date she could have them so you have no surprises. That would fit in with the milk better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts