RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a Chessie puppy to a person in Louisanna and he is looking for a local trainer for his pup. He does want to trainer to put titles on the dog and he wants to hunt the dog.
He is looking for a pro local in Mississippi or Louisanna so he can stop by and watch and learn.

I sent him these names to talk to. Chuck McCall, Bill Autrey , and Mark Smith.

He met Will Malbry at high cotton retrievers and liked him and he also talked to Ed Thibodeaux.

What pros would you reccomend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Goldsby retriever and obediance (Daniel Goldsby) has trained three dogs for me both for hunting and hunt test. He is located 60 miles north of New orleans and 30 miles east of Baton Rouge. In the community of Amite, look him up on facebook.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Bart Posey of Wonderlabs is good with Chessies. He ran my Chessie, Tally for me at teh Grand a couple of times and knows how to work with all types of dogs.

Chuck, Ed and Mr. Autrey are also good choicess.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In addition to the excellent choices mentioned, Alan Sandifer (Copiah Creek) on this board has trained nice chessies. Alan and Kathy Luthy over in Crestview, FL would be great choices as well with their experience in chessies.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In addition to the excellent choices mentioned, Alan Sandifer (Copiah Creek) on this board has trained nice chessies. Alan and Kathy Luthy over in Crestview, FL would be great choices as well with their experience in chessies.
I didn't know the luthy's were pros.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If Carol Casady turns one of her Chessies over to Bart Posey to run in the Grand that is good enough for me! I do not have CB dogs, but Labs and Bart has trained several for us. We (Cleo and I) have been very happy with Barts training program for years. He understands dogs as well as people. Bill

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Don't think you mentioned Ed in your post on the other board, so I didn't speak to what I know of him there. He's close enough we sometimes share the same training pond and a talented, easy going, steady hand who's finished a lot of nice test and gun dogs. Ed's wife and training partner, Jackie, is "a Chessie person". But they're based a couple hours south of Alex, in Morse, and travel north to the upper Midwest to train in Summer, which might be an issue if your man is a hands-on owner who wants to work with his pro.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Alan has some nice Chessies....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Kathleen Luthy is in Florida and the OP asked about Miss and LA.

Alan Sandifer and Clark are both good guys and they have dogs that run confident and happy.

You have gotten a bunch of good suggestions. The best advice I can offer is see if you can go and day train with a potential pro and get a feel for how they train. Pay particular attention to the dogs' attitudes. If the truck is full of "down" dogs, that pro would not have my dog on their truck. I do think you have to allow for a couple of dogs with poor attitudes, but certainly not the majority.

Best of luck finding someone - again, you have gotten some really good suggestions and now it is a matter of finding the best fit.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
A lot will depend on your buyer's aspirations.

I know and have judged every one of the trainers mentioned in this thread personally and they are all great guys.

If your buyer is looking for a solid hunt test/hunting dog, then Chuck, Bart, Bill, Ed or Alan can certainly produce one. I would give a nod toward Ed and Alan since they work with Chessies a lot. I don't know Bart's record with Chessies, but I trust Carol's judgement. I certainly like the dogs I've seen Bart run and he's a super guy.

Ed and Alan also run trials.

Charlie and Mark skew toward field trials. I don't know if they would take on a dog not pointed toward a trial career. But, you can ask.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Carol do you have a contact number for the Luthy's? I have called and got a recording.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts