RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people feel about field trial pros having there own personal dogs? I thought I remembered a thread about this years ago but couldn't seem to find it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Each pro has their own thought on the subject, IMHO it's not ethically wrong and most the time those pups get sold to a client in such camp. Always need an up an coming star and it's good for the kennel and pro.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if they don't sell it and it accumulates alot of AA points? No I don't have anyone in mind nor am I wanting a debate. Someone that I was just thinking about

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with it.I know of one pro who after his dog gets qualified for the national stops running it.I even have a pup out of the dog.
I have another dog with a different pro but not for any reason other than know the other pro better.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't see any reason it matters who owns the the dog. If pro A wants to haul one of his own, then that's his deal. What's the difference if the dog is a washout or high point dog?

·
Registered
691 Posts
In the words of a long timer RTF'er, "it depends".

Does the Pro do things that are to the detriment of their client's dogs? If so, that's between them and their clients (and I don't imagine that most clients would take that too well if they felt that way).

It goes the other way as well. I've seen it asked here on multiple occasions why Merlyn doesn't get bred more. The response was that the Pro that owns him also runs and promotes Pirate (seems its a close race between him and Grady as to who gets more action) so he's low key on Merlyn. (Of course with more Merlyn pups starting to run, I think you'll hear more on him)

Would it matter to me? If I thought my dog was getting shorted because of a Pro's dog, I'd have to decide if the issue was the Pro or the dog. Just like in Professional Sports, its sometimes easier to fire the Coach than fix the players.

I would think that the Market would determine if it was a problem or not, and it would be self correcting.

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. The pro "going to school" on his early dogs is true regardless, it's the luck of the draw running order. I can't imagine a pro owning multiple all age dogs, as that would cut into his/her revenue. In all the cases I have seen, it is a pro who buys a nicely bred pup to raise and train as an investment. If the pup works out well and makes a name in the derby and or Qual, the pro usually sells the dog to a client with the stipulation being that the new owner will leave the dog with said pro.

John

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
IF I were a client of a Pro who has his/her own dogs they are campaigning I would question how much is my dog being trained. This would only apply to a all-age dog. Young dogs Derby and younger who cares! Since I don't have a dog with a Pro I really don't care either way. Thats why there is a amateur all-age stake and you have run against the Pro in the Open anyway.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
More power to them if they can do it.....they still have to pay the bills, and deep pocket Client A and Client 1A might mean more to them business wise than their own dog...

bottom line is a Pro wants to win, look at Danny F. he has won the last four trials but not with the same dog...lots of happy owners there

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More power to them if they can do it.....they still have to pay the bills, and deep pocket Client A and Client 1A might mean more to them business wise than their own dog...

bottom line is a Pro wants to win, look at Danny F. he has won the last four trials but not with the same dog...lots of happy owners there
You know what's funny is that I have heard it mentioned several times lately at trials that Danny doesn't have near as good of quality dogs as he has had in past yet he has been on a winning streak and with diff dogs.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
You know what's funny is that I have heard it mentioned several times lately at trials that Danny doesn't have near as good of quality dogs as he has had in past yet he has been on a winning streak and with diff dogs.
It goes that way sometimes...

FWIW I wouldn't put a dog with an AA pro that was running his personal dogs. It's a conflict of interest if you ask me.

Angie

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Keep posting everything you hear at a weekend FT and people are going to stop talking to you.....

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Keep posting everything you hear at a weekend FT and people are going to stop talking to you.....
Now you're getting the hang of it, starting to sound like an old-timer. ;-)

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never said it was mentioned to me. I said I heard it. And please, have you been to a field trial? The people in the gallery don't seem to care all that often who hears what they are talking about. And one thing about me, I will say ANYTHINg in person that I will say on here, I won't ever hide behind a screen name.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
that must be from the people who are on the waiting list or who couldn't get on his truck:p:p

One of his clients FC AFC Hilltop's High Society (Gracie) won the Open this weekend with owner Sylvia McClure at the helm...she is a National player:D

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that must be from the people who are on the waiting list or who couldn't get on his truck:p:p

One of his clients FC AFC Hilltop's High Society (Gracie) won the Open this weekend with owner Sylvia McClure at the helm...she is a National player:D
Yes I know. Sylvia is a very nice person with an awesome dog. Tom Watsons dog has been doing nice and so has cash. Just to name a few. Danny has alot of talent on his truck. I have enjoyed watching his dogs run.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.