RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine (a newbie to retrievers) is considering sending his pup to Joel Porter and asked me to check him out. Unfortunately I don't think I know anybody to get a direct reference from. I have talked to him on the phone. I would appreciate feedback from anyone with direct knowledge or experience with Joel.

If you have something even remotely negative to say, please send it by PM. Under no circumstances would I want this to turn into a bashing of anyone.

I don't know if this is appropriate or not, so if it isn't Moderators feel free to delete. I assure you that I am not Joel Porter nor was I asked by Mr. Porter to post this. If this is inappropriate no blame should be attached to him.

This pup will be used as a hunting dog and to run hunt tests, probably AKC and HRC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know Joel well. I first met him when i was trying to figure out how to get a dog to take an over and pass a seasoned test. He has had several of my dogs and has done well with them and helped train me along the road. He has taken my older dog thru the grand, MH, helped me run her in all age trials and compete at the SRS game. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Joel is a good guy and trainer, there are also several other good trainers in the area so be sure and find the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I know Joel, and although I have not placed a dog with him have seen him run numerous dogs in Hunt Tests. He is either a retired firefighter or is still one currently. He has a very professional demeanor and has a solid flight of good hunt test dogs on his truck. We spent the weekend together this past Saturday & Sunday in Alabama at an AKC test, so I was able to watch several of his dogs run. I would feel comfortable referring someone to him, and that he would do a good job working with someone who was new to the dog games. Nice guy and he runs a sound operation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have judged a lot of dogs run by Joel at AKC hunt test. They all perform well and act as if they are enjoying themselves even when they don't make it through the test. Joel is a good handler at the test and is very professional.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I spent Saturday & Sunday in a Master flight with Joel. His dogs were well prepared & happy.
Mark Land

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tell your friend not to hesitate. Joel is a great guy and trainer. Joel has helped my daughter and me out and since our move to the midwest, he has remained just a phone call away.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know Joel, and although I have not placed a dog with him have seen him run numerous dogs in Hunt Tests. He is either a retired firefighter or is still one currently. He has a very professional demeanor and has a solid flight of good hunt test dogs on his truck. We spent the weekend together this past Saturday & Sunday in Alabama at an AKC test, so I was able to watch several of his dogs run. I would feel comfortable referring someone to him, and that he would do a good job working with someone who was new to the dog games. Nice guy and he runs a sound operation.

^^^ This ^^^

·
Registered
653 Posts
Joel has done a great job with my dog. Helped him finish later transition through MH. He also put a master national pass on him at last years nationals. He has been very flexable with me as I like to do alot of the training and handling myself. He is not a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. He figures out what you need and want and does he darnest to get it for you. He is a good teacher too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After getting out of the game to train bomb dogs, Joel was one of only three that I referred my clients to. He has campaigned a dog for me over the years and currently has my only competition dog there now. He finished qualifying 2 for me last year and only needs 2 passes to qualify her again for this year's MN. Joel has gotten better every year I have trained with him and it is showing with quality performances on most of his dogs every weekend. I'd tell your buddy that for a hunting and hunt test dog, that Joel will be a great asset to him during the time the pup is in training and after he is done.

He is honest, straight forward, and dependable. He is easy to work with and willing to put the time in to get a good dog for all his clients. He'll also tell you if you're wasting your money on a dog that won't live up to your expectations.

I've passed several to him over the years to get a second set of eyes on and will continue to refer people to him when I get the chance.

Stacey West

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to thank everyone for their feedback.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a Grady X lotto dog that was started by Joel porter and she has a rock solid fondation there was no starting from Scratch with her if I lived anywhere close to nc she would still be with him

1 - 15 of 15 Posts