RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 month old blm and I want to start leaving him out of the kennel expect for the last 2 times i have done so he has chewed everything up in his sight. I leave him out at night and he does not chew anything up. But during the day if I leave him he will destory the living room like chewing up magazines and the trash, etc. Let me know what I am do to stop this

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Last week I just starting to let my 13 month old out during the day, 8 hours. He's been pretty good but has chewed a small hole in one of my rugs. Right now I don't let him roam the entire house, just the kitchen area. Start out small and work your way up. And make sure they have plenty of toys to keep them busy. Start out with small increments of time. Run to the store and come back. Spend five minutes in the garage and go back in. confuse them as to how long you'll be gone each time. Don't let a pattern develop.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the small doses routine with my old choc and she worked out just fine. Mind you we kept every door closed in the house...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The difference between the good boy at night time is that he's asleep and knows you're in the house. In the day, he knows you're gone, he's awake and probably nervous being on his own. He alleviates this with chewing. So you will likely have to treat the cause of the problem - he's nervous. Make his crate available to him and do the small increments routine as stated above - both in time alone and space available. Give him a special heavy duty chew toy when you leave. And keep it special by putting it away when you come home. Some folks buy a heavy duty Kong type toy and fill it with peanut butter, canned dog food or chicken stock, then freeze it hard over night. The goodies keep them attracted to the toy and the freezing makes it last longer.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
There is good news ahead. Generally, they stop that type of behavior by the time they are two, if not slightly before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts